Member #

Reactions: CombatMech

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

I don't believe you will need that? The apple GPS works with no cell signal. I used GAIA gps app while on my canada fishing trip with no cell service for a week and it worked like a champ. Turn off your cell data under settings and try for your self. :smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: CombatMech

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

That is why I was asking the question if its needed. The last time I had my iPad used for navigation, MotionX map dumped all my downloaded maps, so it was useless, but it still tracked my GPX tracking. Didn't know if having this devise would help GPS position.

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

That is why I was asking the question if its needed. The last time I had my iPad used for navigation, MotionX map dumped all my downloaded maps, so it was useless, but it still tracked my GPX tracking. Didn't know if having this devise would help GPS position.
I don't know if you read my post before I edited it or not, I sounded snarky in my first reply, sorry.......
I am not familiar with MotionX. I did down load maps on GAIA and was able to use those as well as have my location tracked and had full functionality,sans download capabilities, while on that trip.

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Sorry if I sounded bad too, no intentions, I am not a fan of motion X, I like all trails until they stoped supporting nat geo, I use all trails for hiking, as they have a lot of trails already loaded, I am looking into GAIA. I like GAIA like all trails where you can work on a desktop and then get them on your mobile devise. As long as they have tracking ability to make GPX files, I will use them exclusly.
Thanks,

Railman

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Manhattan Il
Member #

Sorry if I sounded bad too, no intentions, I am not a fan of motion X, I like all trails until they stoped supporting nat geo, I use all trails for hiking, as they have a lot of trails already loaded, I am looking into GAIA. I like GAIA like all trails where you can work on a desktop and then get them on your mobile devise. As long as they have tracking ability to make GPX files, I will use them exclusly.
Thanks,
Your welcome. I ran across a rather large thread yesterday here about GAIA. One of our members is very active on GAIA as a Beta tester.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ask-me-about-gaia-gps.6959/page-5#post-135386