Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
That looks like a perfectly acceptable starting setup and location! Welcome to the OB crew!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Jkk,
Welcome to this great site! You are off to a good start with what you have! It is easy to look around at all the fancy setups that people have. The more you get out with the vehicle you have, the better understanding of your comfort level, and how far you can safely go or want to go, with what you have now is all part of the learning process. There really is no rule other than to be safe and leave the places you go better than you found it! That way others can enjoy the same places too. This site is a great place to pick up ideas and Knowledge from others. Hope to see you out and sharing ideas on this site too. Vance.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

RTT's are not as good against bugs as a ground tent IMHO. Unless said bugs are of the ant variety. They are much better at getting you out of the sand and off the rocky ground of the desert & mountains of the west. Back east it was much easier to find level soft ground for a tent than out here.

If your just getting into the game, money is better spent on food based gear like a 12v fridge and cooking kit. Again my opinion. Basically figure out what you'd like to improve and go from there. But for the cost of a RTT you could almost have everything else.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Like others have also said, I personally like a ground tent if I use one. I have to always get up and pee during the night and don’t want to be climbing down then back up at night. The nice thing is my Jeep Cherokee, works well, with my setup to sleep in. Vance.