Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

As I am setting up my Suburban for camping in, I have been thinking about what I wanted in a stove. I knew I wanted 2 burners, and I thought propane would be good. But then I though about where to carry the propane tank and it seemed to add complications. So I decided to go for a Coleman stove. New is about $100 and they are not made as good as the old ones. So I started looking for an old one.
Well I found one. It is a 425. The first of the 425, so it is from 1948-1953. It is the style referred to as the round tank. It is in great shape. It shows some signs of use, but is not beat up. No dents, no cancerous rust, just surface. Overall great shape. Best part it, I scored it for $5.
Its size will work out well with the platform/bed slide I plan to make. I am very happy with it.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I love my 425, though I have the new one. I would say that the quality may not be as good as the old stoves, but that doesn't mean the new ones are 'poor' quality by any stretch. Mine is pretty rugged and shows no obvious weaknesses when compared to older models. The fact that they can run on a huge variety of liquid fuels, including the gas from your Suburban, so there's always an abundance of cooking fuel around without added complexity of multiple fuel types.

The only other thing is I suggest people always pack a spare generator. They are relatively cheap, but if one fails on you it's going to happen right when you are about to use it -- i.e. cooking a meal -- and it'll just ruin your day. For the few ounces weight and $40, it's a worthy spare to bring. Depending on your model, a full spares kit of O-Rings, gaskets, etc. is probably a good idea. You can also get Propane Conversion kits if you want that option that will replace the liquid fuel generator with one that is compatible with 1 lb propane tanks. Further converters can allow you to use any propane tank.

You can keep these stoves in tip-top shape with a can of high-temp engine enamel too, I've been told, which can help seal against rust and moisture damage. That one you had looks pretty good -- I hope I look as good as that when I am 70 years old! Nice find, especially for $5.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I do not plan to do a full resto on it, but I might pull it apart and clean all the rust and repaint it. More to keep it from rusting further than to restore it. I will be getting a new generator as a spare, good idea. I also want to get the propane converter just to have. A spare 1lb can and the converter would save the day if the stove fails to work, without taking up too much extra space.
I will look into a O-ring kit. I will just replace them all from the get-go.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Oh man, a clean round tank. SCORE!

I love my old Coleman gear, but sometimes fussing with the white gas is annoying. My 'go-to' is a freebie 425E with a propane conversion (it came with no fuel tank). A 1lb propane bottle fits in the stove along with the generator, lighter and misc cooking gear.

Please post your restore/cleanup progress on the old stove.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I do not plan to do a full resto on it, but I might pull it apart and clean all the rust and repaint it. More to keep it from rusting further than to restore it. I will be getting a new generator as a spare, good idea. I also want to get the propane converter just to have. A spare 1lb can and the converter would save the day if the stove fails to work, without taking up too much extra space.
I will look into a O-ring kit. I will just replace them all from the get-go.

Heres some handy info that will help you get it to where you want it!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Heres some handy info that will help you get it to where you want it!

Thank you. I am excited to get this thing home and start working on it. I am currently 200 miles from home where I bought it, I will strap it to my motorcycle in the morning and bring it home. I had to go to the Seattle area for work and I have the stove sitting in my hotel room right now.
I have done a bunch of reading, because I am away from home and have the time. I can see how it would be easy to start collecting these old stoves. They can be had cheap, and the hunt is part of the fun.
I will get this one cleaned up and use it for a while, then decide if I want to find a 413 or maybe even a 426.
I do plan on getting the propane conversion, just as a back up.
However, I love the sound and the smell of an old Coleman stove, nostalgic I guess.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
The best way to travel! With enough bungee cords and gumption, a bike can hold a lot more than just the stove, too. There is some amazing riding out that way, especially through the Columbia River Valley area if you end up out east of the state, and getting into the Cour D'Alene area in Idaho. If you are anything like me, a 200 mile bike trip can mysteriously end up taking 3, 4, or 500 miles 'by accident'. I'm not allowed to "run to the store for a quart of milk" anymore, because the milk expires before I want to come home!

At any rate, I wish you many safe miles of riding and may your roads be full of twisties and free of cagers!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

That is true. I rode out to Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Glacier and across Lolo pass.
It’s easy to start and want to just keep going.
Camping in Yellowstone was a challenge though. Huge thunder storm with torrential rain. But still fun.