Gold company seeks land grab, Goodbye Cerro Gordo?

• HTML tutorial

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi, Canadian company K2gold has seeking permission to do some test drilling and open, open pit mines in the area just South of Cerro Gordo.
You can read about it here; https://finance.yahoo.com/news/k2-en...110000946.html

IMHO while providing some jobs it would devastate the area. I know, I worked in an open pit mine. You can't put back the mountains you blew up. Cerro Gordo may disappear as will all the other local Indian, mining history.

See how the owner of Cerro Gordo feels;
If you feel like it at least let the BLM know how you feel.; https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-...002408/comment

Thanks,
gene

1629136839063.png

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I wish I could say something supportive and positive, but reality is his vision for preserving history and nature are directly at odds with the largest money laundering operation in the history of mankind.

LaVoy Finicum wishes him luck.

Reactions: Okie2020

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

I think organizations like Greenpeace, the Sierra Club, Indian nation would get involved. To help stop the environmental damage it would cause digging an open pit mine. If they don't it just shows they're only in it for the money and not to save the environment. I've seen the open pit mine in Bisbee, AZ and it's the worse. In the 1800's they outlawed Hydraulic mining due to the damage it caused. To me this is the same thing and shouldn't be allowed. I've always pictured Cerro Gordo a historical place and could be as popular as Calico ghost town but better and the area around it should be protected better from the damage projected. Our government keeps trying to take everything from us. You will own nothing and you will be happy, but that's another rant.

Reactions: DMS1

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It is flat out strip mining. The same kind of mining that raped the coal regions of Ohio & Pennsylvania. Unfortunately it’s gonna happen in a lot of places in N America. As I have stated previously, the same political powers that claim to want to preserve vehicular access into public lands are the same powers that’ll open public lands up to corporate greed. When and If a private company leases public land, gates go up & we’re locked out. It’s difficult to navigate through all the BS and a fine line for us to walk. I choose the side of preservation, protection & vehicular access. Peace out !

Reactions: Retired

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I choose preservation as well, of course. Conservation.
However I am also concerned that, more than gold, lithium is what some of these companies may be after.
As I understand it, the two most often used methods of extracting lithium from the ground are:
1)pumping water underground so the lithium froths us to the top (for oil they call it fracking, but since lithium goes in electric cars, they dont call it that)
2) strip mining.

People want thier electric cars, right? Clean energy, they say...clean for who?

Cape Wind, a green energy windmill project started in 2001 to place turbines in the Nantucket Sound, has been opposed by every Kennedy and yachting partner since day 1. Even when they went through every permitting g process and won in state supreme court...They finally gave up in 2017, having erected zero turbines. It was less than 5 miles off the mainland, between Hyannis and Nantucket. It would have been visible from the Kennedy compound in Hyannis...what chance did it have? One of the Kennedy clan wrote a piece in a paper, stating support for green energy but not "this project."

i.e. "NIMBY".

Enter Vinyard Wind. Same idea, but not off Hyannis. Not in the sound between the mainland and Nantucket. No. THIS one is 14 miles SOUTH of the island, out in the open ocean. And it is still being opposed, ostensibly for the protection of the Right Whale. Ok. Like I said, i believe in conservation. But it just seems theres nothing we can do that us clean enough or safe enough.

Please dont read this as support for this gold-strip mining. It isnt. I look at the Berkeley Pit in East Butte Montana. Strip mining was supposed to be the safer alternative to digging unstable shafts in the ground and lowering people in.

The idea that shaft mining is romantic is akin to taking a transatlantic trip in a wooden boat. We just wouldnt do that anymore, and probably shouldnt., should we?

But since I was a kid, they've been talking about the "greenhouse effect" as they used to call it, and they've been pushing electric cars and solar and wind energy.

I'm genuinely wondering how exactly we are supposed to generate even renewable energy If the devices we invent for gathering it ruin the view of terrain and are opposed at all sides.

Reactions: MOAK

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Hot Box/Bloom box/hydrogen is the answer, but it doesn't direct funds they way they want them to.

Bloom box can use surplus solar/wind to create hydrogen which can be stored and the same box will run off of hydrogen.

This technology is largely being ignored because a reasonable avenue for politicians to launder money back to themselves doesn't exist.

The technology already exists, is developed to production levels and is in use . There is no giant gray chasm to toss billions of dollars of taxpayer money into (that ends up in their "foundations" , businesses, kids jobs, etc.) so hey lets keep building wind farms (that is that chasm) with incredibly short life spans, extraordinarily high maintenance costs, built out of UN-recyclable materials.

Until people figure out that the "green" in green energy is the color of the money that is embezzled, stolen,laundered and siphoned off, we'll be right here doing the same thing, spinning our wheels and giving the politicians our money.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I choose preservation as well, of course. Conservation.
However I am also concerned that, more than gold, lithium is what some of these companies may be after.
As I understand it, the two most often used methods of extracting lithium from the ground are:
1)pumping water underground so the lithium froths us to the top (for oil they call it fracking, but since lithium goes in electric cars, they dont call it that)
2) strip mining.

People want thier electric cars, right? Clean energy, they say...clean for who?

Cape Wind, a green energy windmill project started in 2001 to place turbines in the Nantucket Sound, has been opposed by every Kennedy and yachting partner since day 1. Even when they went through every permitting g process and won in state supreme court...They finally gave up in 2017, having erected zero turbines. It was less than 5 miles off the mainland, between Hyannis and Nantucket. It would have been visible from the Kennedy compound in Hyannis...what chance did it have? One of the Kennedy clan wrote a piece in a paper, stating support for green energy but not "this project."

i.e. "NIMBY".

Enter Vinyard Wind. Same idea, but not off Hyannis. Not in the sound between the mainland and Nantucket. No. THIS one is 14 miles SOUTH of the island, out in the open ocean. And it is still being opposed, ostensibly for the protection of the Right Whale. Ok. Like I said, i believe in conservation. But it just seems theres nothing we can do that us clean enough or safe enough.

Please dont read this as support for this gold-strip mining. It isnt. I look at the Berkeley Pit in East Butte Montana. Strip mining was supposed to be the safer alternative to digging unstable shafts in the ground and lowering people in.

The idea that shaft mining is romantic is akin to taking a transatlantic trip in a wooden boat. We just wouldnt do that anymore, and probably shouldnt., should we?

But since I was a kid, they've been talking about the "greenhouse effect" as they used to call it, and they've been pushing electric cars and solar and wind energy.

I'm genuinely wondering how exactly we are supposed to generate even renewable energy If the devices we invent for gathering it ruin the view of terrain and are opposed at all sides.
This all speaks to the society we live in. Consumerism driven by instant gratification. As with all things (H20 comes to mind) conserving our use of energy would preserve and protect. I’ve always been puzzled by easterners that have moved west and insist upon a green lawn. Or a “save the planet” advocate that lives in a McMansion.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

This all speaks to the society we live in. Consumerism driven by instant gratification. As with all things (H20 comes to mind) conserving our use of energy would preserve and protect. I’ve always been puzzled by easterners that have moved west and insist upon a green lawn. Or a “save the planet” advocate that lives in a McMansion.
Well, I havent moved west yet...yet

Reactions: MOAK