Goal zero solar generators?

• HTML tutorial

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

Does anyone that has one, or anyone that has a better grasp of electronics know if instead of using the port to daisy chain two of the goal zero units, can you use it to connect a second battery of the same size and let the original unit's controller run both of them?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My guess is you could DIY something. I would agree that the batteries would need to be the same type. Have you reached out to Goal Zero?

Hopefully you have some type of solar setup because no matter how many batteries you have at some point they need to be recharged. I have an ArkPak, although I may sell it because my new trailer has dual batteries. It can be plugged into my vehicle and if I have solar connected to the truck battery it will also charge the ArkPak. The same can be said if my trailer is still connected to my truck although trying to charge 3 batteries off of a 100watt panel takes a lot longer.

Don't own a GoalZero so sorry I can't provide a more direct answer.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've been using GZ products for a long time - professionally and recreationally: solid stuff.

They only recommend you daisy chain apples to apples - as to not fuzzy up the internals (circuitry, modules, doodads, and control boards).
I do this with two of their Yeti 400's.

You connect the two units, turn them on, and usually the one on top or to the left is the one you work off of.

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

I don't know much about the GoalZero but I'm a licensed electrician that has add battery's , inverters and solar to cars. If you are thinking about a DIY electrical project let me know I will walk you through it.

Reactions: Steve

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Use a heavy-gauge cable (10), fuse the positive (negative too, if you're paranoid), and finally make sure your batteries are at roughly the same charge when you connect them, and have similar capacities. You shouldn't have a problem.

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

I know you can on their largest unit as we were looking at one for our "campulance" conversion. I'm not sure on the smaller units though.