runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
Hello all. here is where i am. wanting a gmrs radio. i am thinking the btech 50x1. *no idea what the diff. is between the 50x2* what i have read it seems i need a antenna between 5 - 6 db. here is the rub. i do not want a magnetic mount antenna. i have found a few 'whip' stile hard mounted antenna. but they all say they are NOT flexible. i would think this is a MUST??? so long way around to the question. what antenna do i need with this radio? or.. am i just not understanding things? any help is welcome here. thanks!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The 50x2 is a dual band ham radio the 50x1 is a "single band" GMRS radio.
Have you looked at the Midland Ghost antenna? It is pretty popular due to it's size.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Where are you going to mount the antenna?
What is your use case for GMRS? / What are you expecting out of it?

There are longer antennas (more gain) available such as the Browning BR-450 that is about 3' tall. They aren't completely rigid and will flex.
I ran a dual band antenna that was only a few inches taller and it flexed fine, just don't hit it against a tree near the base of the antenna.

runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
Where are you going to mount the antenna?
What is your use case for GMRS? / What are you expecting out of it?

There are longer antennas (more gain) available such as the Browning BR-450 that is about 3' tall. They aren't completely rigid and will flex.
I ran a dual band antenna that was only a few inches taller and it flexed fine, just don't hit it against a tree near the base of the antenna.

will that pick up NOAA broadcasts ? the reason that i ask is i have read not all antenna's work well with all radios. again. i do not know =)

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

yes it will pick up the NOAA broadcasts as well. Any GMRS or UHF Land Mobile antenna that is a 5/8 wave over 5/8 wave (typically noted at about 3' tall and 5-6db) will also be 1/2 wave on VHF which is where the NOAA broadcasts are.

runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
yes it will pick up the NOAA broadcasts as well. Any GMRS or UHF Land Mobile antenna that is a 5/8 wave over 5/8 wave (typically noted at about 3' tall and 5-6db) will also be 1/2 wave on VHF which is where the NOAA broadcasts are.

Sweet I’ll look more into that one then! Thanks again for your help

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I see you're talking about gain on a GMRS antenna and also talking about receiving NOAA broadcasts. Gain on transmitting antennas is referring to the transmission gain, not receive, and a higher gain antenna is not going to improve your ability to receive. Also, higher gain doesn't always mean better propagation when transmitting. It depends on the terrain.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Those ghosts antennas are GREAT on GMRS. On my home radio I got an SWR of 1.2 on GMRS with this antenna. I wouldn’t recommend for VHF but I am impressed with it for GMRS and of my all the antennas I have at home it’s the one I use for GMRS. So discreet, my neighbor upstairs doesn’t realize it’s outside his window. Most people don’t even realize it’s on the roof of my truck.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think it is a 1/4 wave at 462mhz which should help to reach GMRS repeaters or if you’re in a valley.
I know firestik is planning to release a GMRS 1/4 wave next month which I can’t wait to get my hands on. I think most GMRS users are probably group trail riders who might (might is the key word) benefit from a 5/8 wave. But 99% of the time I think a 1/4 wave like the ghost would be best.

Attachments

Reactions: runswithscissors

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
As an alternative to the Midland branded ghost antenna ($$), I use this on both of thewondertwins. Works for vhf/uhf ham, plus is has about 1.2 SWR at the gmrs frequencies.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Hello all. here is where i am. wanting a gmrs radio. i am thinking the btech 50x1. *no idea what the diff. is between the 50x2* what i have read it seems i need a antenna between 5 - 6 db. here is the rub. i do not want a magnetic mount antenna. i have found a few 'whip' stile hard mounted antenna. but they all say they are NOT flexible. i would think this is a MUST??? so long way around to the question. what antenna do i need with this radio? or.. am i just not understanding things? any help is welcome here. thanks!
I think you are too worried about on paper performance. Get the radio. Install it and see if performance is satisfactory for your use. Then upgrade components as needed. As you've said, you have little experience in this. Instead of making purchases based on a myriad of keyboard experts, get the radio. Install everything that it comes with, and begin building your own experience base with that unit and your vehicle configuration.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
As an alternative to the Midland branded ghost antenna ($$), I use this on both of thewondertwins. Works for vhf/uhf ham, plus is has about 1.2 SWR at the gmrs frequencies.

Amazon linking is broken on the forums still, I guess. Maybe the smile URL won't be converted?

EDIT: Nope, that's broken, too.

Code:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bingfu-136-174MHz-400-470MHz-Compatible-Transmitter/dp/B07KNY4ZB3

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I think you are too worried about on paper performance. Get the radio. Install it and see if performance is satisfactory for your use. Then upgrade components as needed. As you've said, you have little experience in this. Instead of making purchases based on a myriad of keyboard experts, get the radio. Install everything that it comes with, and begin building your own experience base with that unit and your vehicle configuration.
I totally support what @Mad Garden Gnome says 100%!

Also @TahoePPV we got the same antenna

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Indeed, don't worry about paper specs too much, look more at the features/functions you want and set a budget. No problem starting out with an inexpensive radio (Though there are folks out there that will scoff at certain brands and some that will complain about some cheap radios not actually being FCC compliant), if you decide to upgrade later then you have a backup that you can carry or toss into a separate vehicle or whatever. I have an HT (handheld transceiver) as well as a fixed mount mobile radio in my truck, it's nice to have the ability to hop out and still have comms without being tied to my truck.

A decent antenna with the proper gain for the terrain makes output power is less of an issue, especially if you're just going to be talking with folks nearby in a group. I mean, I was able to communicate with my wife who was 3-4 miles away in some treed, hilly areas relatively well and she was just carrying a Motorola GMRS handheld.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Amazon linking is broken on the forums still, I guess. Maybe the smile URL won't be converted?

EDIT: Nope, that's broken, too.

Code:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bingfu-136-174MHz-400-470MHz-Compatible-Transmitter/dp/B07KNY4ZB3
If you’re using a browser with an ad blocker it sometimes appears that way.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Indeed, don't worry about paper specs too much, look more at the features/functions you want and set a budget. No problem starting out with an inexpensive radio (Though there are folks out there that will scoff at certain brands and some that will complain about some cheap radios not actually being FCC compliant), if you decide to upgrade later then you have a backup that you can carry or toss into a separate vehicle or whatever. I have an HT (handheld transceiver) as well as a fixed mount mobile radio in my truck, it's nice to have the ability to hop out and still have comms without being tied to my truck.

A decent antenna with the proper gain for the terrain makes output power is less of an issue, especially if you're just going to be talking with folks nearby in a group. I mean, I was able to communicate with my wife who was 3-4 miles away in some treed, hilly areas relatively well and she was just carrying a Motorola GMRS handheld.
^this

Reactions: runswithscissors

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Just pointing out why it seems broken. SMH
I know, and disabling the ad block for OB forums fixed it (thanks!), just pointing out I don't know anyone that doesn't use an ad blocker these days. I've never had that happen on other forums so it didn't even occur to me to check. Thanks for the tip!