Gen 1 Durango snorkel.

• HTML tutorial

Travis Rhyno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon
Member #

I've been thinking about putting a snorkel on my truck fo awhile. The problem is that there aren't any snorkels made for first generation Durangos. I've found plenty of pictures and posts about DIY snorkels made from PVC, but those look junky and the ones I've seen look like they massively restrict air intake. I had the idea to buy a Safari snorkel, or some other brand, made for a vehical with similar demensions to a Durango and then adjust as needed. Then I found a picture of a Durango with an actual snorkel, which can be seen below, and I assume that's what they did. I've looked through most of what Safari sells and a few others but I can't figure out what would be best. My point here is to see if anyone has an idea to put a snorkel on my Durango. Which snorkel should I buy and what would be the best way to modify it to fit the Durango? Thanks, guys. n738613178_1241487_3216.jpg

The greatest things in life are on the other side of fear.

Reactions: Leviathan1

Rrrtaz

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been trying to find the same info, but haven't had much luck. I've also read that the Durango is a pain to waterproof enough for the snorkel to truly be worth the effort.

Travis Rhyno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon
Member #

I've been trying to find the same info, but haven't had much luck. I've also read that the Durango is a pain to waterproof enough for the snorkel to truly be worth the effort.
What is it that makes it a pain to waterproof? I know how to get the job done if I just wanted to slap any ol' snorkel on my rig, but I'd like to have one that at least kind of looks like it was meant to go on a Durango.

Rrrtaz

Rank 0

Traveler I

I haven't found a whole lot on exactly what makes it a paid just just short post on the Dakota/Durango boards that people have said that they have a ton of the electrical system that is vulnerable and needs to be waterproofed. I still plan to put a snorkel on my Durango, but it sounds like a big enough project that I put it on the back burner since I still have to use it as my daily driver.

Travis Rhyno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon
Member #

I haven't found a whole lot on exactly what makes it a paid just just short post on the Dakota/Durango boards that people have said that they have a ton of the electrical system that is vulnerable and needs to be waterproofed. I still plan to put a snorkel on my Durango, but it sounds like a big enough project that I put it on the back burner since I still have to use it as my daily driver.
Really? First generation Durangos, right? I've done a lot of poking around and it looks like a real straightforward job to me. No electrical or anything. Well, let me know of you get your figured out. It's not super needed for me, but it'd be nice.

Rrrtaz

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yes I'm talking 1st Gen. I had a 98 when I started looking into it and have a 2000 now since some guy decided I didn't need the other one anymore and crossed 3 lanes and hit me heading. I actually just tried searching for the stuff I found awhile back without any luck. I can't seem to find the thread that mentioned the electrical, but I was thinking about seeing if I could find a kit for maybe a half ton truck to look over since they have the same front end design just a little bigger. And the trucks seemtoo have a lot more aftermarket parts available. Unfortunately our Durango's don't have much available for them.

Travis Rhyno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon
Member #

Yes I'm talking 1st Gen. I had a 98 when I started looking into it and have a 2000 now since some guy decided I didn't need the other one anymore and crossed 3 lanes and hit me heading. I actually just tried searching for the stuff I found awhile back without any luck. I can't seem to find the thread that mentioned the electrical, but I was thinking about seeing if I could find a kit for maybe a half ton truck to look over since they have the same front end design just a little bigger. And the trucks seemtoo have a lot more aftermarket parts available. Unfortunately our Durango's don't have much available for them.
Sometimes it's a pain that there isn't much out there for Durangos, but for me, it just means that whatever I end up doing will be one of a kind. All these damn tacomad and 4runners, and so on are just so boring and cookie cutter rigs. At least mine is unique, and for better or worse, all the modifications so far are diy other than the bumper which I had custom built.

Rrrtaz

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yeah I think I'm going to get my front bumper from move bumpers and most likely Fab up the rear myself. I want a swing out tire carrier on the rear since a 33" tire doesn't fit in the factory mounting well.

Travis Rhyno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon
Member #

Yeah I think I'm going to get my front bumper from move bumpers and most likely Fab up the rear myself. I want a swing out tire carrier on the rear since a 33" tire doesn't fit in the factory mounting well.
I thought about getting a custom rear with a swing tire carrier, but then I found a nifty one that goes in the tow hitch receiver. The tire has a swing arm as well as a way to hold gas/water cans. It also has a hitch receiver so you can still have other hitch attachments.

Travis Rhyno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon
Member #

Rav3n

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Rockdale, Texas, USA
First Name
Louie
Last Name
Trenado
Member #

You guys ever get the snorkel situation sorted out? I have an 03 Durango I’d like to put a snorkel on.