Gathering information/thoughts/ experiences/unique, must see things for a planned trip around Central Pennsylvania(all of PA and surrounding states)

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have a few threads already for trip planning. I started with a plan to see one of the most popular in PA (Bald Eagle) which grew to include an adjoining one (Rothrock).

After researching Rothrock I realized that I have spent much time in State Forests in PA, but wasn't seeing the Forest for the trees. Basically, I had spent 42 years in this area, but missed out on the dispersed camping opportunities.

I live on the Border of Gallitzin and Moshannan state Forest. Gallitzin doesn't offer the driveable trails/dispersed camping that I am looking for...but Moshannan does.

Then I realized another that we spend alot of time in...Elk, almost gets me to Bald Eagle from the north. Just have to spend some distance in Sproul State Forest.

So all that to say, anyone have experience with these that may be helpful to the trek.

Let's of info on Bald Eagle. Rothrock and Moshannan have a few outlets for info. Elk and Sproul do not seem to be discussed much.

Any info about any offpavement travel/dispersed camping opportunity in Pennsylvania Is appreciated as well.

Things to see, like the Elk viewing center or even further north, Kinzua Sky walk or some cool firetower or waterfall or rock formation (such as Bilger's Rocks) are what I am looking for.

I do have a pretty extensive knowledge of the area. Mostly looking for stuff I missed, or people looking for info about the stuff I know.

Thanks.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I guess to show what I mean I will introduce two places within the drive from the State Forests.

These are an awesome destination to check out. Sometimes, it can be hard to get the significant other, or the kids to just want to go drive through the woods.

So, make a destination that just happens to be near where you want to go.

I will start with Kinzua Sky walk. I posted pics of my last trip there in my fire tower thread.

It is definitely something to behold. It has an awesome visitor center and really shows the power of nature.

Another is Bilger's rocks.

An awesome place to explore and get some input about rocks and caves.

There is a start. More to come. Share your go to destinations as well. Thank you.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
If you are in the Allegheny National Forest or Susquehannok State Forest...be sure to check out the PA Lumber Museum.

And if headed to Bald Eagle State Forest head to Bloomsburg and Lewisburg to their Children's museums.
The Lewisburg one is geared more towards younger children, but the Bloomsburg one has alot of cool local history.

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
Lots of trails in the SF in Pa. We really like Bald Eagle area and have lots of Gaia tracks south of 45. We are planning to go north of 45 on the next trip.
We have a pretty nice local Facebook Group here: Central PA Overland
We have an event each month usually consisting of camping and trail driving as well as random get togethers throughout the year.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
As I study the Purple Lizards and all their signature purple lizard markings, I have decided to see just how many of these lizards I can circle.

Got quite a few already found. Guess it is kinda an extension of Geocaching.

I just wish I has more time for hiking. I love getting into the forest even further than the truck fits.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
@DevilDodge my girlfriend and I ran out for a one nighter in Bald Eagle last night. We stayed in campsite #1 which was just off of route 80 on Mile Run Rd. We really enjoyed it. Most of the roads were gravel-paved but we found Yarison Rd which led to Walters Rd (off of Fourth Gap Rd.). It wasn’t paved and had switchbacks up/down the mountainside.

I definitely would like to go back out to see more of the area.

The only info about camping I could find in BESF said that you had to camp at one of their designated campsites with a reservation. The site was in great condition.

Have you camped their or only driven through?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The only info about camping I could find in BESF said that you had to camp at one of their designated campsites with a reservation. The site was in great condition.

Have you camped their or only driven through?
Yes, with a vehicle you must camp in a designated motorized campsite.

You can backpack camp anywhere as long as you are so far from trail, water, ect.

So far we have only driven and hiked there.

We have stayed at some of the state parks in the area.

There are alot of 4x4 high clearance and driveable trails there.

Glad you made it out. And thanks for the update.

If you liked it up by 80...you will love the southern portion.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Purple Lizard maps are adding 2 new areas to their collection.
One is hinted on their 2nd Edition Moshannon/Quehanna map and one was just revealed on their Facebook.

Cooks Forest will be done this fall and one including Tuscarora is in the works.
MQbackcover2020_1024x1024.jpg

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
Purple Lizard maps are adding 2 new areas to their collection.
One is hinted on their 2nd Edition Moshannon/Quehanna map and one was just revealed on their Facebook.

Cooks Forest will be done this fall and one including Tuscarora is in the works.
View attachment 169128
Yeah, excited to finally have a Tuscarora. They're also working on a new BESF update.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Yeah, excited to finally have a Tuscarora. They're also working on a new BESF update.
The Day use maps from the Forest district are being revised also. I understand from their post about it that a few trails will be renamed.

I am excited for the Tuscarora maps. We found the Gem that is Fowlers Hollow. There are lots of trails leading from there.

vwauditech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCarley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFX362
The Day use maps from the Forest district are being revised also. I understand from their post about it that a few trails will be renamed.

I am excited for the Tuscarora maps. We found the Gem that is Fowlers Hollow. There are lots of trails leading from there.
Are you a member of our FB group? We started in 2018 and have over 600 members. www.facebook.com/groups/centralpaoverland

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Bilger's Rocks in Grampian PA has made a Rock house replica and trail in honor of Roland Welker...of the show ALONE.

pretty neat place all around to checkout. There is a rumor they intend to allow camping in it at some point

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Curious if anyone has any suggestions of restaurants, taverns, general stores, picnic areas, well you get the point...places to eat or get supplies amongst the PA forests.

Obviously I know a few...just looking for others thoughts on local places to spend my food money.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Went up to the hang slider site on the Purple Lizard Bald Eagle map. It is actually in Tiadaghton SF.

Was a fun drive up with the snow. But, too foggy to enjoy it. Will be back on a clear day.

Attachments

Reactions: Dusther210