Gas can on Tow hitch carrier

• HTML tutorial

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

I may need to carry about 10 gallon extra fuel, and have two EPA certified GAS cans. However, I am not very comfortable on them sitting in the vehicle while driving because I think they do vent some fumes.

I was wondering, can I carry them on my tow hitch carrier? I have a 2" receiver tow hitch carrier which is 300lbs rated and made for ATVs, i.e. it is raised, so does not rob you of too much departure angle, which makes it very usable on trails for carrying stuff like camping chairs etc.,

I am wondering if strapping down a couple of gas cans too is allowed? I have ratchet straps and cargo net. Secondly, I often cover my equipment with TARP, but with Gas cans I am not going to do so because of air resistance static built up. Am I too paranoid?

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I carry fuel on the rack every time I go out. Carry opposite of exhaust pipe.
Your local laws would be my first concern.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have an old hitch-mount bike rack that was used to support the bikes via the top tube that I gave to a buddy of mine. He modified it to use as a tire carrier, but then gave it back. I plan on adding some mounts for my water and gas cans

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My biggest concern is someone rearending you. I have had 4 vehicles hit me hard that way. My custom bumper and reinforcing protected the vehicle. The cans would have been right in the way. If you are going to carry them on the back, I would carry them up higher.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

X2 on keeping them away from the exhaust. I hauled fire wood and a propane bottle in plastic milk crates behind a sequoia I used to have on a trip to Tahoe once and when we got ther I found that the firewood crate had melted through the hauler basket. Fortunately the propane was on the other side and the firewood didn’t ignite. The exhaust tip wasn’t really that close either and was pointed to the side, but I guess it blew plenty hot towards the crate especially when powering up the grade to get there and I got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MODist

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Warren, OR
Member #

I got a raised cargo carrier and reinforced it to handle the weight of several gas cans on trails. It is high enough that most cars would never make contact should they rear end me.

web-hd-7962.jpg

web-hd-7964.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
My biggest concern is someone rearending you. I have had 4 vehicles hit me hard that way. My custom bumper and reinforcing protected the vehicle. The cans would have been right in the way. If you are going to carry them on the back, I would carry them up higher.
Agreed, which is why my carrier would in theory put my cans up by the back glass and the spare closer to the bumper. I'm throwing that idea around since I don't want to haul the water inside the vehicle unless the temps dictate that I do. Gas can usually lives on the roof rack while driving if it has fuel.