Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

Anyone else having this issue? or am i doing something wrong or not doing something?

So i will create a route on the Gaia website. save it to a folder and then open Gaia on the phone or tablet but the route does not show up. It will show in the folder but not on the map itself. I will even sync the app on both devices but still nothing. Even clicking on "show on main map" does nothing. Am i skipping a step or doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Gaia can be slow about syncing between devices. Their web site is pretty buggy; give it a bit and if things don’t sort themselves out contact their support. I used to be a big fan but have recently switched away from using them.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
@1Louder ?
If you saved it a folder, I'm pretty sure you have to open that folder in Gaia. I have whole series of folders to keep my trips in order. When I'm in the regular map everything I created shows. I use the folder to filter out things in the area I don't want to see. I can have dozens of POI and routes in the same area but only care about a few. For me, creation in computer to IPad is almost instantaneous.
You will find there is no perfect mapping system, all of them will have a quirk. For me, Gaia is about as close as I can get to an all in one system.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Anyone else having this issue? or am i doing something wrong or not doing something?

So i will create a route on the Gaia website. save it to a folder and then open Gaia on the phone or tablet but the route does not show up. It will show in the folder but not on the map itself. I will even sync the app on both devices but still nothing. Even clicking on "show on main map" does nothing. Am i skipping a step or doing something wrong or is this a bug?
Sorry folks I have been taking lots of time off from Overlanding sadly.. Whether you have a track, route, or waypoint, it should sync. I would submit a support ticket. If you are in a pinch and have to get the item on your device ASAP I would simply export the route as a GPX track and then import it to your device.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Gaia has always been unreliable for me. You have to check and double check that routes, waypoints, etc. make it to the device you need them on and that offline map layers have actually downloaded. These are basic features in so many software products we use, but don't take for granted that Gaia has done what you've asked of it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just used GAIA to build a route to one of my favorite day destinations to share on OB1… GAIA routed me along some roads I have never seen before, so I decided to go venture out yesterday and find these new roads…

well I made it to the edge of town where the first road was supposed to start, only to find a locked gate and no trespassing sign… off to a bad start, I rerouted to the next intersection a few miles up the pavement… well, once again another locked gate and more private property. I then went to my favorite destination the way I normally drive and tried backtracking the GAIA route. The final approach wasn’t a road, not even a hiking or back packing trail.

Just to clarify, this spot I like going to is only 4 miles from my house, but a 20 mile drive… so having a quicker route would have been very welcoming. I started out on my journey very leery of a successful outcome because I knew all of the property was private and the chances that the roads would be public was slim. Another thing that grabbed my attention was GAIA was the only navigation software routing me through these private lands. OnX, All Trails, Google Maps, Garmin Basecamp, and CalTopo all routed me the way I normally go, with the exception of OnX (they wanted me to come up from the back side of the mountain). So just be mindful that GAIA isn’t the most accurate map planning solution out there.

• Wow
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Must have been a bad weekend for Gaia. iOS app lost waypoints that had previously been synced and noticed only after we were far out of cell reception. Thank goodness onX did not lose its mind! Maybe if Outside focused on nav fundamentals more than ideologies they could provide a better user experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
OP, folders can be marked as hidden on the map. That will hide all tracks and routes and waypoints in the folder and they won't show on the map.

Reactions: M Rose