Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have been thinking about adding a 50" light bar to my JKUR with a Front Runner roof rack. I would like to place it between the rack the the hardtop. I think it would be far enough back that I could eliminate hood glare. But that is also where the wind deflector is. Would the light bar defect wind? Or scream like a banshee? Would a curved light bar work better as a wind deflector?

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Most, if not all the light bars have wind noise/whistle. The lightbar will deflect some wind, but not as effectively as a full size wind deflector. If you mounted the light bar between the rack and the hardtop I dont think you would still be able to remove your freedom panels... if that matters to you.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
The freedom panels don't matter much to me. But wind noise does. If light bars whistle, I probably won't like it one bit. However much noise the Front Runner deflector cuts, my BFG km2s make up for!

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

The freedom panels don't matter much to me. But wind noise does. If light bars whistle, I probably won't like it one bit. However much noise the Front Runner deflector cuts, my BFG km2s make up for!
Haha... tire noise I can handle. A light bar I cant. You can get plenty of light out of a pair of quality LED headlights and LED fog lights. We travel and wheel a lot at night and my lighting combination does not disappoint me. (Trucklight headlights and KC Gravity fogs)

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I just have empty switches on my switch pod! lol! Maybe I'll think of something else to wire in! Thanks for the help!

adam1752

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Corona, Riverside County, California, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Robert
Member #

i have 2 spot pods and want to install them, but i have no idea how to
I'm doing a trip to Organ at the end of the month and i want to be ability to use/ test them on that trip.
I want to try and do it my self to have that "i did it my self" feeling
plz help!!!
ps: to see my rig and all its journeys fallow on insta @alpha_zeta_overland

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I just have empty switches on my switch pod! lol! Maybe I'll think of something else to wire in! Thanks for the help!
I have a slimline on my Silverado, much different application however and I don't have a light bar on it... Have you tried the rack without the wind deflector? I didn't have a wind deflector on mine until I had one custom made. The stock didn't fit with my topper and quite honestly I wasn't too impressed with the size/positioning of the stock one, about the only thing I didn't like about it! Just curious how well they work...

That said, have you thought about using a few POD lights instead of the lightbar? You could probably keep the wind deflector that way and also get some lights up there. I would think that would help with the noise problem.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
i have 2 spot pods and want to install them, but i have no idea how to
I'm doing a trip to Organ at the end of the month and i want to be ability to use/ test them on that trip.
I want to try and do it my self to have that "i did it my self" feeling
plz help!!!
ps: to see my rig and all its journeys fallow on insta @alpha_zeta_overland

Adding accessories to a slimline rack is pretty easy. A 5/16 bolt or a m8 fit into he grooves. Your pods should mount on the bolt, just use a washer, and I use nyloc nuts. Deciding how to run your wires is the hardest part.

@wrmmt I have been considering using pods. I want to mount 2 on each side. And 2 on the back. I still haven't decided what I want to do up front. lol

Reactions: adam1752

adam1752

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Corona, Riverside County, California, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Robert
Member #

Adding accessories to a slimline rack is pretty easy. A 5/16 bolt or a m8 fit into he grooves. Your pods should mount on the bolt, just use a washer, and I use nyloc nuts. Deciding how to run your wires is the hardest part.

@wrmmt I have been considering using pods. I want to mount 2 on each side. And 2 on the back. I still haven't decided what I want to do up front. lol
i was planing to do the same but i figured stat small and go from there

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I have been thinking about adding a 50" light bar to my JKUR with a Front Runner roof rack. I would like to place it between the rack the the hardtop. I think it would be far enough back that I could eliminate hood glare. But that is also where the wind deflector is. Would the light bar defect wind? Or scream like a banshee? Would a curved light bar work better as a wind deflector?
From everywhere I read a 50 is too big to work with the rack..mounting it to the hoop you need to have a 40"

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

because the front hoop that comes down is not if I am not mistaken. I haven't seen one of the front runners to know for sure but most of the other brands it is...but hey if you know better go for it.