From SW Ontario to Nunavut by road - James Bay Rd!

• HTML tutorial

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

For a while now, I've had the idea to travel from the US/Canada border, all the way down here in Southwestern Ontario, up to the James Bay Rd., and up to Chisasibi QC. I'll stop to see Raddison QC, and the Robert Bourassa dam along the way. My plan is that, when I get to Chisasibi, I kayak or canoe to one of the nearby islands - thus officially stepping foot on Nunavut soil! This is a rough "sketch" of what the route would look like:

1568600531140.png

As some may (or may not) know, I am a documentary/landscape photographer. Much of my work deals with how humans interact with nature, and with water being one of Canada's most abundant and embattled resources, it'd be very timely for me to document the myriad of ways we use the stuff; document its "story" from down here near the US border, up to the northern coast, and lots in between... I've received a lot of interest, and a bit of financial support for this endeavour. Plus, it's been a life-long goal of mine to see Canada's least seen coast! I traveled Western Quebec/Eastern Ontario recently - loved what I saw, would love to see more of that.

Right now, I'd just like to feel out the logistics of this trip, interest from other members, etc. I'm currently thinking of going in spring/early summer 2020, but that isn't written in stone. The other "best time" would be in 2022/2023. I will be driving my Subaru for this adventure.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
This is a multipart write up of a group that did that exact trip (albeit for different reasons) from Michigan.

Pretty thorough guide to what they saw....including getting to an old radar site they wanted to visit.

It's definitely an area that interests me as a trip.

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This is a multipart write up of a group that did that exact trip (albeit for different reasons) from Michigan.

Pretty thorough guide to what they saw....including getting to an old radar site they wanted to visit.

It's definitely an area that interests me as a trip.
Thanks for sharing this! I'll have a look at it.

Reactions: Wilbah