Fridge

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

So I should be getting a fridge soon through a group buy with a local club. I'll be getting an Engel MT45. Right now the plan is to run it on the stock battery in my JK since I don't have the spare cash to do a dual battery setup.

Think it'll be okay to run the fridge of the stock battery? Anything I should be worried about, or do to make sure the battery doesn't go dead when I'm using the fridge? Should I suck it up and buy the dual batteries?

B

BPD53

I run an ARB 50 on a single battery. I usually only stay in a spot no more than 16 hours then I hit the road again. Never had a single issue, even in summer. I think a good battery does just fine as long as you aren't stationary too long.

I would use the stock battery until it kicks the bucket and upgrade to a deep cycle.

I am running a Lifeline GPL-2700T. When I get home I put on a charger for a while to top it off.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

While I recommend putting at least 1 deep cycle in the rig for now... the fridge should work fine unless you park for a couple days and expect it to keep things frozen.
If I remember correctly... the Engel also has a battery protection mode that shuts off the fridge before killing the battery.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I run an ARB 50 on a single battery. I usually only stay in a spot no more than 16 hours then I hit the road again. Never had a single issue, even in summer. I think a good battery does just fine as long as you aren't stationary too long.

I would use the stock battery until it kicks the bucket and upgrade to a deep cycle.

I am running a Lifeline GPL-2700T. When I get home I put on a charger for a while to top it off.
Thanks! We usually stay in a spot for more than a day, but drive about everyday.

While I recommend putting at least 1 deep cycle in the rig for now... the fridge should work fine unless you park for a couple days and expect it to keep things frozen.
If I remember correctly... the Engel also has a battery protection mode that shuts off the fridge before killing the battery.
I've been trying to find out if it has battery protection or not. I know I'll have to run the rig every so often to make sure the battery doesn't die, I just can't spend the $800 for the Dual Battery setup now since I'm saving for a wedding.

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Just fyi, a lot of junk yards have batteries cheap from cars they receive.
While I'd get a new one if I could, a cheapo used might get ya a little more juice for the fridge. Then when u get the $ just swap it out for the new deep cycle.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Thanks! We usually stay in a spot for more than a day, but drive about everyday.

I've been trying to find out if it has battery protection or not. I know I'll have to run the rig every so often to make sure the battery doesn't die, I just can't spend the $800 for the Dual Battery setup now since I'm saving for a wedding.
I tried finding that information too... looks like it might not have that feature. My ARB does so I assumed the Engel would too.

If I were you I would get a battery saver... I'm not sure what brand or model would be best.... but a quick google search turned this one up...
http://www.roadtrucker.com/koolatron/12-volt-battery-saver-70110.htm

A cheap option to have for the interim.

Reactions: toxicity_27

ExploreDesert

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menifee, Ca
Member #

I run a single 27F Yellow Top Optima and have never hit the voltage cut off.

Although our style of camping is driving throughout the day until finding a spot late in the afternoon, then leaving first thing in the morning.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I run 2 Grp 31M blue top Optima's and after a couple days in 80-85 degree weather and having the fridge set at -12 (10 degrees F), AND having 80 watts of solar panels trickle charging the batteries..... and it cut out after a couple days. Once I adjusted the temperature to only a few degrees below freezing everything was able to keep up.

It's all about how cold you have it set and what the ambient temp outside is for how hard it will have to work.

I originally just had the one blue top Optima and it would run it fine for a few days... 3 or 4 I think. After that I would start the FJ twice a day and let it run for 10 minutes each time to charge things up (high output alternator and special alternator diode to get more volts). My system now (2 batteries + solar panels) I think can keep up indefinitely if I don't have the freezer set too low. We go deep wilderness camping and are off-grid for many days. Last year we were out for 10 days in a row. This year we hope to have enough time to stay longer.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I looked at my stock battery tonight too and its got 70 amp hours, which I'm thinking should do fine.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'll just throw this out there, for those who like to stay in one spot for extended periods of time. These draw < 1 amp on an inverter. A 100 watt solar panel will almost keep up with it (or just start your engine occasionally). It makes 2lbs of ice an hour. They also make smaller, cheaper units.

Reactions: Robby

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I am not positive as I have a different brand but I don't believe they do have the battery protection or at least didn't in previous years. I had to jump start a friend of mines rig because his killed his battery and he was worried about it so would have had it set if it had the feature.

You don't need to go out and buy an expensive dual battery setup. I built my own and apart from the batteries and mount don't think I spend $100 to run dual batteries.

DualBattery.jpg

This pic was taken during the install. Everything was complete but was wiring up my 12v trigger for the solenoid.

Reactions: Unplanned Overland

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I am not positive as I have a different brand but I don't believe they do have the battery protection or at least didn't in previous years. I had to jump start a friend of mines rig because his killed his battery and he was worried about it so would have had it set if it had the feature.

You don't need to go out and buy an expensive dual battery setup. I built my own and apart from the batteries and mount don't think I spend $100 to run dual batteries.

View attachment 7790

This pic was taken during the install. Everything was complete but was wiring up my 12v trigger for the solenoid.
I'm not very electrically inclined which is why I'd lean towards getting a kit. However for now I think I'm leaning towards a solar setup to charge in the meantime because the kit is so expensive.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I think I'll end up getting a jump pack just in case.
Everyone should have one of these whether you have a dual battery setup or not. Common sense not expensive piece of safety equipment. Especially if you travel solo.

You don't need a dual battery setup. You will kill your starting battery prematurely by running a fridge off of it. As long as you understand that fine. Once that battery is dead get a good deep cycle battery, a good solar setup (Renogy 100 watt suitcase is great but bulky), and the jump pack. Running your rig to keep a battery charged is just a lot of wasted gas which I consider a precious commodity when out in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Solar is awesome! Unless you like to park your rig in the shade / Overland in the winter / Overland when it's raining, or there are clouds in the sky / Need a charge at night. As sexy as solar is, I can't give up my 2kw Genny (8 hours on 1 gallon) and Schumacher FR01235. I get 12amps of battery charging power (day or night / rain or shine), equal to TWO 100watt solar panels (approx 16 square feet), which only get their rated wattage about 4 hours a day, pointed directly at the sun, with no cloud cover. Plus, I get 100amp jump start anytime I need it.

Total cost: $600

True: It's not as Eco-friendly, but if we were that "Green" we'd all be backpackers ;-)

Also consider: Running your batteries below 50% is hard on them. With this setup, you can avoid that, regardless of weather, latitude, time of year, or time of day.

Champion_Power_Equipment_73534i_555954_i0.jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 10.32.30 AM.png

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Solar is awesome! Unless you like to park your rig in the shade / Overland in the winter / Overland when it's raining, or there are clouds in the sky / Need a charge at night.
That is why my solar setup is portable. I can have my rig in the shade and the panels out in the sun. I only need 2-3 hours a day with good sunlight to keep my batteries topped up. One for the truck and one for my trailer. Sure if you aren't in optimal sun it takes longer but it is pretty much a set it up and forget it thing.

I have never owned a generator and even though I carry way too much stuff I try to be efficient with my electrical requirements. It all depends on the batteries you have, power required, etc. Hopefully the large lithium batteries will come down in price some day. They can be drained to zero.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
That is why my solar setup is portable. I can have my rig in the shade and the panels out in the sun. I only need 2-3 hours a day with good sunlight to keep my batteries topped up. One for the truck and one for my trailer. Sure if you aren't in optimal sun it takes longer but it is pretty much a set it up and forget it thing.

I have never owned a generator and even though I carry way too much stuff I try to be efficient with my electrical requirements. It all depends on the batteries you have, power required, etc. Hopefully the large lithium batteries will come down in price some day. They can be drained to zero.
No doubt about it. Better batteries fix everything. "Overland" is the business of driving. Being able to capture more of the power you're already paying for is the way to go, for sure.