Fridge for Toyota Sunrader build - do I NEED an offroad fridge?

• HTML tutorial

Down2Mob

Rank IV

Traveler I

Chandler, Arizona
Member #

I am rebuilding an old Toyota Sunrader and I am looking for a fridge. I have plenty of space for a big fridge, and have been looking at the Norcold and Dometic RV fridges. These also say that the vehicle should be on a level surface when operating the fridge. My question is, if I plan to offroad and have this thing on many uneven surfaces, should I go with an offroad branded fridge like an ARB or Dometic offroad specific fridge? Or will a standard RV fridge work just fine? Quick back story - I plan to live and work out of this rig for 6 months- a year, and my main goal is to have a bulletproof rig. Price is always a factor, but I am willing to pay top dollar for the best of the best.

Reactions: Michael Mayfarth

Michael Mayfarth

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lakebay, WA
Member #

I have a buddy that has a fridge in his truck bed that is not an offroad specific model and has had no issues. we do Rally Sweep and are on very bumpy forest roads. Keeps the ice cream nice and frozen, even in the middle of summer. I believe that his is a Dometic.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I think what you’re referring to is when it’s parked. I’ve had zero issues with my non off-road specific edgestar that lives in my truck. Parking on steep hills for extended periods is an issue that hasn’t come up. I’ve never paid too close of attention to normal parking and obviously its level when camping. I think I read that the National Luna fridges can operate on inclines. If you’ll be living out of it I’d look into a fridge and freezer combo which could be pretty nice. I know that wyntner and national Luna makes these, probably others too. I was intrigued by “old Toyota sunrader”, those things are very cool! Post some pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Smokinjoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ridgecrest
Member #

I believe having an Off-Road designed fridge will be your best bet in the long run. For one thing they are designed for heavy duty operation, taking ruff trails, having stuff fall on them, also the electronics are designed in a way to prevent the fridge draining your vehicles battery, fridge will warn you and then turn off and automatically restart when proper input voltage is restored . I have an ARB 50Qt fridge going two years now with no issues and not requiring ice is a major factor also once you find the sweet spot temp, for me it's 27 degrees it keeps everything constantly cold on hot days . On longer runs I do also have an ice chest that is used for drinks only this helps with fridge maximizing food space.