Freedom Plateau (Olympic Peninsula) Washington State

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

IMAG1483.jpg This destination is quite epic simply because it is a Plateau about 3,600 ft. above sea level, and has views to the East of Sore Thumb Mountain, Mount Olympus(the Olympic Peninsula Mountain Range) and to the West the Pacific Ocean overlooking in the distance the cities of La Push and Forks. A must campsite, it is a disperse campsite so it's absolutely free, you just need to have a National Park/Forest Pass displayed in your vehicle for when you leave your vehicle to go hiking or to set up camp to play it safe. I named it the Freedom Plateau because on several different types of maps and google it has no name.

If leaving from Port Angeles, WA head west on HWY 101 for 31.8 miles, on your left you will see Forest Service Road 2918. Continue till the paved road ends and continue on the gravel road. At the first fork keep right, the very next road on the left take it. (NF-2946) Stay on the main service road, you will see smaller turn outs and spin offs just keep on the main service road till you come to yet another fork, take the right 1.5 miles down this service road on the right there is a turn that looks like it continues up right before the road curves to the left. This is the Plateau, if you miss it the road ends not much further past at Sore Thumb Mountain which has a great hiking/climbing trail. Simply turn around and head back, if there are already campers there and don't feel comfortable with you staying there(this has happened to us in the past) go back to the base of Sore Thumb mountain and camp there, the view is still spectacular just not quite as amazing as Freedom Plateau. Freedom Plateau can easily fit 4-6 vehicles if set up right.
IMAG1483.jpg If anyone has any further questions feel free to ask!

johnO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Portland, OR
First Name
John
Last Name
Olivier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BXG
Thanks for the great info ... my wife and I are planning a trip up from Portland to the peninsula this summer. We will definitely check this out.