Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Back in Colorado and want to do something in the wilderness! I live in Severance which is 20-30min East of Fort Collins. I'm interested in driving Old Flowers Road and then hitting the Flowers Trail to hike to the B-15 crash site which I hear is 5 miles in (10 miles round trip, long hike). I planned on bringing my tailgating grill to make lunch after the hike. A nice burger or brat would hit the spot after 10 miles.

Would anyone else be interested in doing this pending good weather? Hopefully someone who knows both of these places so my research doesn't have to be so extensive. :D Might be a fun trip for any new folks in the area to meet!

From what I've read, Old Flowers Road is mild enough for a 2" lifted Outback.

Mike

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
Looks like FR152 is still closed. USFS doesn't post an opening date, but probably mid June. :(

The only spot you could have trouble is a pretty steep part of the track maybe 3/4 of the way through. Not technical, just steep.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Back in Colorado and want to do something in the wilderness! I live in Severance which is 20-30min East of Fort Collins. I'm interested in driving Old Flowers Road and then hitting the Flowers Trail to hike to the B-15 crash site which I hear is 5 miles in (10 miles round trip, long hike). I planned on bringing my tailgating grill to make lunch after the hike. A nice burger or brat would hit the spot after 10 miles.

Would anyone else be interested in doing this pending good weather? Hopefully someone who knows both of these places so my research doesn't have to be so extensive. :D Might be a fun trip for any new folks in the area to meet!

From what I've read, Old Flowers Road is mild enough for a 2" lifted Outback.

Mike
Which hiking trail is that? I wasn't aware of the B-15 crash site, I knew only of the T-something nearby Boulder.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Looks like FR152 is still closed. USFS doesn't post an opening date, but probably mid June. :(

The only spot you could have trouble is a pretty steep part of the track maybe 3/4 of the way through. Not technical, just steep.

go to gadget CVT belt! Don’t melt!

that’s a bummer about the road. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it. I’m still game for SOMETHING that weekend.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

That sounds fun, I'd be down to join sometime for that. How far is that from Rapid City?
looks like 5.5 hours from rapid city to my house then 1.5 hours further west from there.Stay tuned! Rumor has it I planned a trip on a road that isn’t open... hah idiot

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Which hiking trail is that? I wasn't aware of the B-15 crash site, I knew only of the T-something nearby Boulder.
It’s called Flowers Trail. I think it’s a total of 30miles but the wreckage site is about 5 miles in and it’s not on the trail I read. You have to know where it is or you’ll miss it. Which makes it better because then the disrespectful people who just want to steal things and trash the area won’t be able to find it as easy.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

EricnSD

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Ericson
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

lol no worries. Not even spring yet, plenty of time to plan some trips.

My Jeep is going in the shop soon for some upgrades, can't wait to get out there with a lift, a winch, and better recovery gear.

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Reddington
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UMC
Pretty sure there are two.

There's one near Stormy Peak, which starts near the CSU Mountain Campus. This hike should still be open, and accessible. Maybe even without snow shoes.

The second, which you're talking about, is on the other side of the valley near Crown Point. This area might be closed for the fire.

Reactions: wishihada4runner

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

It’s called Flowers Trail. I think it’s a total of 30miles but the wreckage site is about 5 miles in and it’s not on the trail I read. You have to know where it is or you’ll miss it. Which makes it better because then the disrespectful people who just want to steal things and trash the area won’t be able to find it as easy.
Cool. You should create a RP with the plan so that people can RSVP and keep track of what's going on.

FrankenWagon

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
Al
Last Name
Miller
Member #

There are two B-17 crash sites up there. I've hiked in to both. Being roughly 10500 feet elevation and snow coming in the next few days expect them to be buried. And yes if you do t know where they are you could walk within 50 feet amd miss the wreck site.