First timers location

• HTML tutorial

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

Hey All, I’m looking to take my sister and niece on a first time trip somewhere in Northern California. I live near Santa Cruz - but would rather go away something very local (there are amazing spots in my back yard). What would you recommend. I’m thinking the Sierras would be the right area. Any recommended sites in Stanisalaus National Forest? I have the gear to dry camp or boondock, but I think they’d prefer a toilet (pit OK) and access to hiking / water if possible. I know things get booked up - so I need something that is likely to be available in August. Thanks for the recommendations.

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

I highly suggest going out highway 168 from Fresno and look up around Huntington Lake. Several campgrounds in the general area and a lot of things to see and do. Not a bad drive from here either. (I'm in Gilroy)

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
That looks like an awesome spot! What about the snow levels? I went up highway 88 two weeks ago and hit snow right at 6K feet.
Ended up camping down near the town of Somerset near PiPi campground. Beautiful area with lots of great OHV trails. Mostly National Forest and BLM so plenty of spots to camp for free. Even some spots right on the river. Actually PiPi is right on the river, but it was closed when I was there. So I just camped a little ways down. Pic below was taken near the top of the highway 88 pass. Lake was still completely frozen!97577

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
Oh sorry I missed the part about going in August! Hopefully no snow by then : )

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
Check out Highland Lakes Campground on highway 4. Beautiful high alpine lakes with a fun direct road to access it. It has vault toilets and even a manual well pump for water. No reservations, first come first served. Only once I wasn’t able to get a spot on the weekend. But if you can’t get a spot, there are several campgrounds right before it off the dirt road. Also plenty of spots to boondock.

2jeven

Rank I

Contributor III

Newark, CA, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Weathers
Hello guys, I’m in the Bay Area also. I can attest to Shaver Lake and the surrounding area. I spent every other weekend up there as a kid (my dad lived up there.) However, like you said, campgrounds fill quickly so it might be difficult to find a spot. I’m booked at Dora Belle Campground in a few weeks.

2jeven

Rank I

Contributor III

Newark, CA, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Weathers
Also, check out Cherry Lake. I understand it’s first come, first serve, which means you probably have to get there early Friday at the latest to get a spot. Don’t know about toilets though.

Last edited: