Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle East
First Name
Trig
Last Name
Gerr
Hello all

Been into the overlanding for a while. Built my current set up myself (LWB Pajero) which will pretty much go anywhere and can provide around 7 days completely off grid if we conserve our onboard 95 litre water supply or take a bit extra (just the two of us); solar, refrigeration, lighting, kitchen, shower, shelter etc., all included. I love this vehicle.

we are fortunate where we currently live as the ‘winter’ weather is perfect for trips for around 5 months of the year so this small rig meets everything we need; we essentially live outdoors on all our trips and are self sufficient.

with that long winded intro, the plan in the next couple years is to pack in the 9 to 5 and go long term; Middle East, Europe, Africa, Asia, South America etc - everywhere is on the list as probable destinations.

The decision I am now facing is vehicle choice. We could easily stick with the Pajero but weather may become a limiting factor long term as it would be essentially 24/7 outdoor living, other than sleeping. I’ve never had an adventure truck with a fitted out enclosed box and would really appreciate any input/advice from those who chose to go this route.

Currently looking at something around the size of a Fuso 4x4 Crew Cab (4 door) as the base vehicle. My idea would be to build out a lightweight set up (custom enclosed insulated box) with all the main necessities (on board power/water/ablutions/seating/sleeping/refrigeration/cooking/garage area/air/storage etc) but not ultra luxury. To be honest, fuel economy, and thus weight, is a key long term concern, relatively speaking.

I can see many benefits of such a set up over the Pajero but I also need a reality check as to the potential downsides and issues others have lived.

if you’ve made it this far, thank you.

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
In my experience, big truck=big money; both in the build and running costs. When i retired, I full-timed for two years before Covid and did Western Canada, Western US and Mexico. I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to tour on a motorcycle and stay in AirBnbs. Last year I toured Central America on the motorcycle for about half the cost of a truck tour. But if I had a Pajero, I would stick with it.

Trig2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle East
First Name
Trig
Last Name
Gerr
T
In my experience, big truck=big money; both in the build and running costs. When i retired, I full-timed for two years before Covid and did Western Canada, Western US and Mexico. I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to tour on a motorcycle and stay in AirBnbs. Last year I toured Central America on the motorcycle for about half the cost of a truck tour. But if I had a Pajero, I would stick with it.
Thank you for your input.

This bike tour must have been amazing; I am also a biker. If you fancy it, I highly recommend India on a Royal Enfield; both an incredible country and experience by bike.

Can I ask what your approx daily expenditure was for Central America on the bike please?

Was your 2 year trip living in a truck? If your truck build cost was kept reasonable (according to your own personal circumstances), would this perhaps change your view on the the on-going cost vs benefit of a truck? I can definitely appreciate the benefits of simplistic travel, it’s pretty much what we have always done to date, the truck would definitely be a big step away from this.

Our idea is to really get away from it all and live off grid out of the truck full time as much as possible so thus negate the bulk of other accommodation costs but I know at times we will also stay in airbnbs etc., so it’s not a 100% set off, but long term I’d hope most of our time would be spent off grid in the truck in remote places.

Last edited:

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
I'm probably into the truck for $50,000 although that was spent over the two years it took for the build. The truck is great because we have everything we need on board for comfortable off-grid living; it is just that all expenditure is big expenditure, such as fuel, tyres and repairs.

Here is a breakdown of the costs for the whole of the 142 day central America trip:

Accommodation: $6694.83
Restaurants and Bars: $3254.38
Fuel, Motorcycle Stuff and Air Fares: $2526.17
Insurance Policies: $1742.29
Cellphone: $928.11
Groceries: $903.20
Entry Fees: $486.46
Medications & Tests: $260.07
Other Costs: $16.46
————————————————————
Total for Two Persons: $16811.98
Average Daily Cost: $118.39

There is a full report on ADV Rider in the Ride Reports section entitled:
Two-up on a KTM in Central America.
The cheapest living we had while living in the truck full-time was in Arizona; on the BLM land at Quartzsite and Imperial Dam. The LTVA [Long Term Visitor Areas] are $180 for a permit from September until April. Good value because of the water, rubbish and dump facilities but Cheryl got very bored and wanted to tour more. I didn't mind sitting in the desert when the truck was using $200 of diesel a day when driving around.

Trig2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle East
First Name
Trig
Last Name
Gerr
I'm probably into the truck for $50,000 although that was spent over the two years it took for the build. The truck is great because we have everything we need on board for comfortable off-grid living; it is just that all expenditure is big expenditure, such as fuel, tyres and repairs.

Here is a breakdown of the costs for the whole of the 142 day central America trip:

Accommodation: $6694.83
Restaurants and Bars: $3254.38
Fuel, Motorcycle Stuff and Air Fares: $2526.17
Insurance Policies: $1742.29
Cellphone: $928.11
Groceries: $903.20
Entry Fees: $486.46
Medications & Tests: $260.07
Other Costs: $16.46
————————————————————
Total for Two Persons: $16811.98
Average Daily Cost: $118.39

There is a full report on ADV Rider in the Ride Reports section entitled:
Two-up on a KTM in Central America.
The cheapest living we had while living in the truck full-time was in Arizona; on the BLM land at Quartzsite and Imperial Dam. The LTVA [Long Term Visitor Areas] are $180 for a permit from September until April. Good value because of the water, rubbish and dump facilities but Cheryl got very bored and wanted to tour more. I didn't mind sitting in the desert when the truck was using $200 of diesel a day when driving around.
Thank you very much, really helpful input.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Stick with the Pajero, in my view.

Big trucks mean - more fuel, more wind resistance, heavy tyres, less agile (tight village streets, narrow "offroad" trails), too big for some situations (if we'd had a bigger vehicle than we had at the time we would not have been able to get into the cargo deck of the Amazon River boat; if you spend time in cities occasionally and want to use a secure car park you may not be able to get it in), permits for access to game parks/reserves will be more expensive (sometimes a LOT more expensive), some places will be off-limits - vehicle over a certain GVM are not permitted into some African parks.

I recognise that a vehicle with "stand-up height" accommodation is comfortable, however for us this has not been enough of an advantage to spend what would be required to buy one (and use it). We have accumulated 37 months in 5 continents on our recent "big trips", which were mostly in an X Trail, a Land Cruiser, a Montero (= Pajero, which is our current vehicle at home), and a Wrangler (in Canada, waiting for us to continue our Canadian trip this month). You really don't need more space.

Trig2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle East
First Name
Trig
Last Name
Gerr
Stick with the Pajero, in my view.

Big trucks mean - more fuel, more wind resistance, heavy tyres, less agile (tight village streets, narrow "offroad" trails), too big for some situations (if we'd had a bigger vehicle than we had at the time we would not have been able to get into the cargo deck of the Amazon River boat; if you spend time in cities occasionally and want to use a secure car park you may not be able to get it in), permits for access to game parks/reserves will be more expensive (sometimes a LOT more expensive), some places will be off-limits - vehicle over a certain GVM are not permitted into some African parks.

I recognise that a vehicle with "stand-up height" accommodation is comfortable, however for us this has not been enough of an advantage to spend what would be required to buy one (and use it). We have accumulated 37 months in 5 continents on our recent "big trips", which were mostly in an X Trail, a Land Cruiser, a Montero (= Pajero, which is our current vehicle at home), and a Wrangler (in Canada, waiting for us to continue our Canadian trip this month). You really don't need more space.
Thank you, great insights.

the whole issue around size is definitely on my mind - I need to research more around access restrictions in Africa

What is your typical set up in terms of onboard power+water/sleeping/kitchen(food storage, prep+cooking)/shower/toilet ?

where do you typically sit/spend time when the weather is bad, heavy rain/wind/snow etc?

I love the constant outdoor living but as mentioned our weather is generally great so I haven’t had to content with major weather issues other than some light rain and wind. As we will be travelling all seasons and in some real weather, I need to figure how to adapt our habits to make sure we are still comfortable if using our current rig.

also, in areas with wildlife such as bears, which we will likely find ourselves in, I’ve read the necessary precautions but do people still generally accept roof top tents as appropriate sleeping arrangements while cooking out of the back of the vehicle below you? What about roof top tents in game parks in Africa?

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
I have a Jeep Gladiator with an Alucab Canopy Camper it’s small no worries will it fit anywhere I can do a U turn easily, and when the weather is bad I can sit and stand comfortably in the back

Reactions: Viking1204