Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
It'll get the job done but will only do 2 watts on high, really not a huge deal in a handheld there's other things that hold handhelds back outside of power. It's probably the most flexible of the certified GMRS radios, and can take an external antenna if needed which is a huge advantage. There's just not a whole lot of non "bubble pack" options on the market.

I believe some of the Midlands will actually do 5 watts but their antennas won't be as good, so output wise (ERP) it probably evens out, but you also get 2 radios for the cost of one GMRSV1.

Edit- For what it's worth I've got a GMRSV1 and I like it. It typically the radio I had off to a family member when they need one. Me and my wife have our own surplus Motorola Jedi radios (MTS2000s) and we typically use those. Surplus radios are great and built like tanks and Motorolas have the "special sauce" of radios down pat but they come with their own programming headaches and if you need to change PL tones on the fly they typically aren't great for that as most require computer programming.

If you kind of fall into the nerdy tinkerer catagorey then some surplus commecrial radios might be right up your alley. I've got a couple of Motorola surplus mobiles (PM400 and M1225) that I love to use but I'm nerdy like that.

Last edited:

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

It's basically just a stripped down UV-82. I have two of them and they seem to work fine. At least as advertised. I basically got them just to begin to better understand radio and how to program them. I occasionally will use them out in the boonies on MURS channels (yes yes, illegal) but in general just use them to listen and have them programmed to be able to access emergency bands and national simplex bands in case of an emergency.

So, point being, if it works as the UV-82 does then it is completely fine for basic handheld communication over a couple miles assuming no major barriers.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
I started off with this set and have been very happy with. I used it for a 20+ rig trip through the woods. I was tailgunner and the leader had the same unit (mxt115). Sound was crisp and clear at all times. Plus this set gives you hand heads you can share with buddies. A radio is only good if there is someone to talk to.

Midland - MXT115 & GXT1000 Bundle - MicroMobile Two-Way Radio w/External Magnetic Mount Antenna & GXT1000 Two-Way Radio - Up to 36 Mile Range Water Resistant Walkie Talkies (Pair Pack)(Black/Silver)

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I have that one as well, bought it as my starter radio with the add on external mag mount antenna.

I prefer it to my midland bubble pack radios that I have. However, I put an mxt275 in my console, and I will say, I really prefer it to any of my others so far.

we use the handheld to loan out to others or when at the lake. Nice to be able to talk with people at campsite from the kayaks. Also great for spotters, either on trail or backing a camper

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The hardest part with the GMRS ones is to figure out how to set your "tones". Other than that just turn it on select your channel and talk.

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
If you are used to a CB you'll be pleasantly surprised by the clarity of a UHF FM radio, even a 2 watt hand held. So you might consider starting with the hand held but you will likely want to add a mobile eventually. If you do then the hand held just transitions to a backup/spotter/loaner radio.

Reactions: Downs