Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I got a couple Antennas I want to mount. One on my truck on the fender to replace the original antenna; the other on the roof of my trailer.
I have the option of using either a Flush mount or a Dome mount(which is also flush). I'll be also be using Springs on both the trailer and truck.

I am thinking I'll use the 5' tunable on the truck. Which I want to use for both the CB and Radio. (This is possible right?)
And 6ill start with the 2' non-tunable on the trailer. I will be plugging into the Am/FM Radio on the trailer so if I do not get better signal I can swap out for the 5' non-tunable.

Thoughts & Opinions?
Austin

20200630_130740.jpg20200630_130623.jpg20200630_130601.jpg20200630_130638.jpg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

What kind of trailer and any particular reason you are going with a CB antenna for the AM/Fm radio?

As for the truck you will need a splitter for the antenna to connect to both the CB and the AM/FM stereo. Something like this:
The Coax cables... those are for dual antennas, get coax with a single connector at each end.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Travel Trailer. I wanted a CB antenna for better signal. I live in the country, surrounded by mountains and hills.

Thanks for the splitter idea.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

A CB antenna won't necessarily give you any better receive as even receive antennas are tuned to a specific frequency and CB frequency isn't exactly real close to FM stereo frequencies.

An aeronautical antenna may work better as it is quite close to the upper end of the FM broadcast band (117-137MHz) or a FM signal booster with a regular FM antenna may be the best option.

Reactions: Downs and Buzzard13

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

So what about the mounting options? Should I get the dome and spring combo? Or go with the flush mount and spring?

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Either. Both locations are flat. If someone had experience with the dome one then they could explain the benefits.

I think the dome one would be stronger.

It also depends on looks. On a trunk deck flat w/ spring would look best while the dome would be best on the roof of the trailer.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Either. Both locations are flat. If someone had experience with the dome one then they could explain the benefits.

I think the dome one would be stronger.

It also depends on looks. On a trunk deck flat w/ spring would look best while the dome would be best on the roof of the trailer.
And there you go my friend... you answered your own question... I use both styles... and as you noticed each style has its benefits.