Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you are new to amateur radio or just haven't been too involved Field Day is an annual event where ham radio operators set up offgrid stations and temporary antennas and operate for 24 hours trying to make as many contacts as possible.
It is a wide spread disaster scenario and a contest in one. It is the largest ham radio event in North America with many many clubs participating.
You may opt to visit or operate with a local club, they generally set up in a local park or fire station and that's perfectly fine. However this is OB and we all like to get away so this seems like a perfect opportunity.
I know this may seem a little early, but it would be a good time to start getting your plan together if you haven't already.

A few things to note:
Though VHF contacts are allowed for FD, HF is where the activity is at.
You only need one licensed individual on site, preferably a General or Extra license holder. Even if someone is a Technician or non-license holder they can still get on the air using the privileges of the highest licensee on site.
You may want to log your contact for submission, if using a generator for power you may be able to run computers for this. However if you are running on solar or battery you can get an app for logging using a tablet. I use Hamlog (Android and IOS) which has a setting just for FD logging.
You may operate from home using main power if you would like, the other stations participating will gladly except the contact.
The exchange of info is easy and quick: callsign, class, and state. Example: WX5SKY 3A OK... my call, 3A = 3 HF Transmitters / A = portable station of 3 or more people, OK (State). This is great for those that may be mic shy.
Voice, CW (morse code), and Digital are all excepted modes of operation. CW and Digital are worth more points per contact.
Operate as little or as much as you want, the event runs for 24 hours but that doesn't mean you have to.

Rules and more (such as a field day site locator) can get found here: Field Day

Field day is an upcoming topic for the weekly net.
Perhaps some OB members would like to get together for FD, maybe make a Rally Point out of it for those that may be interest in ham radio but haven't made the plunge yet.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

In previous years I had spent FD with the local club I run around with at a fire station. Pics below are from last year.
This year I plan to head to SE Oklahoma to the Ouachita National Forest and set up with a buddy or two.

Raising the multiband HF and 6 meter Yagis.
IMG_20180623_093856.jpg

Multiband Vertical, multiband wire, and the satellite antennas can also be seen here.
IMG_20180623_114335.jpg

If you couldn't tell by the clouds in the above pictures we were anticipating bad weather which finally arrived in the middle of Saturday night shutting down operations for a number of hours. Caught this beautiful strike.
IMG_20180624_051254.jpg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for the post on this @Prerunner1982! I am a pretty inactive ham but could be up for this (2019 ARRL Field Day is June 22-23).
Anybody in the PNW want to go camp overnight on a mountain hilltop June 22-23? Alternatively any locals planning on attending a local event that interested OB'ers could show up to?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Looks like I will be doing FD from home this year.
But always a good time to set up the "awning", the solar panel, and the portable antenna and do some operating.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

3 weeks away.
Still need to get my cables built to operate digital modes.
Digital QSOs are worth more points and useful for when voice contacts die out or you lose your voice. :laughing:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

No digital modes for me this year and a 40% chance of rain Sat and Sunday.... rain... gosh who would have thought. :unamused:

• Sad
Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We just wrapped up at the EOC. We had 6 operators operating as a 2F low power. Total QSO points were 1228. Last year we had a 1230 so right in line.

I had a great time as usual. I spent most of yesterday on 20m and on 15m today. I never could get a good run parking and barking so I feel like I left a lot of points on the table.

Already planning for next year. I think since we got a more modern station running on digital now, we're going to rework an older operating position for a VHF station to take advantage of our free VHF station more next year.

Always a good time!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

First year operating FD by myself as a 1E using battery and a solar panel. I had originally wanted to go out to the National Forest but that fell through due to personal things so I set up across my property.
Couldn't set up the antenna where I had wanted to so ended up tying off to my Jeep.
For the first few hours it seemed I could only get out to the west and figured the trees were blocking my signal but as the day went on the east came in just fine.
Called it a night about 3am when it seemed nobody could hear me with the intent to be back at it at sunrise until I awoke to storms.
They finally passed about 9am and the conditions Sunday morning were pretty good.
I only made 105 contacts, most on 20m, some on 40m, and even a few on 10m. I am not one to park and bark so I guess I need to work on that. Could have done a little better had the storms not delayed me 3+ hrs.
Had a good time, though. Besides my "barn" cat jumping in my lap at about 1am and scaring the crap out of me it was uneventful.

Things I learned:
I need a small camp table. Been meaning to buy one the last couple of years but for whatever reason haven't gotten around to doing it.
Remember to turn the brightness down on the tablet, battery will last longer that way.
My setup both antenna/mast and "awning" can handle a thunderstorm quite well, no issues.

It wasn't the prettiest setup I have ever done but it worked.
FD 2019.jpg
FD 2019a.jpg
FD 2019b.jpg

A little red LED strip perched on the fender for night ops.
FD 2019c.jpg
FD 2019d.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks like a fun setup! Glad you had a good time. What software do you run on the tablet? We use N3FJP at the clubhouse and I must N1MM+ for logging contests personally.

I was a little standoffish about trying to call CQ during a contest the first time, but one of my Elmers is a contester and convinced me to try it. It's an absolute thrill working a good pileup. I was disappointed I never got a good run going, even as full as 15m was Sunday and me calling just close enough to a big station that I could hear his rattle I couldn't get but a couple spread out answers so I'd go back to search and pounce.

A good time to try out working a pileup is during your state's QSO party. Find an obscure county/ city/ parish ect and set-up portable there. Another member and I did that a few years ago for the VaQP. The bands were super rough that year. Only managed a few Texas contacts in 40m and everything else was on 80m but I worked several pileups and that got me hooked.

A boom set and foot pedal help a BUNCH too.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@TerryD it's called HamLog. Curiously it's not currently on Google Play, but is on iTunes.. For FD it worked well, it dup checks which is really what I was wanting. Would be nice if it had apps for other contests too, but alas it does not just a normal qso log.
I also created a spreadsheet to log with that also dup checked and told me what other bands and such but my home computer doesn't have Excel and the formulas and formatting didn't carry over to the free software I was trying to use.

Last edited:

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
If you are new to amateur radio or just haven't been too involved Field Day is an annual event where ham radio operators set up offgrid stations and temporary antennas and operate for 24 hours trying to make as many contacts as possible.
It is a wide spread disaster scenario and a contest in one. It is the largest ham radio event in North America with many many clubs participating.
You may opt to visit or operate with a local club, they generally set up in a local park or fire station and that's perfectly fine. However this is OB and we all like to get away so this seems like a perfect opportunity.
I know this may seem a little early, but it would be a good time to start getting your plan together if you haven't already.

A few things to note:
Though VHF contacts are allowed for FD, HF is where the activity is at.
You only need one licensed individual on site, preferably a General or Extra license holder. Even if someone is a Technician or non-license holder they can still get on the air using the privileges of the highest licensee on site.
You may want to log your contact for submission, if using a generator for power you may be able to run computers for this. However if you are running on solar or battery you can get an app for logging using a tablet. I use Hamlog (Android and IOS) which has a setting just for FD logging.
You may operate from home using main power if you would like, the other stations participating will gladly except the contact.
The exchange of info is easy and quick: callsign, class, and state. Example: WX5SKY 3A OK... my call, 3A = 3 HF Transmitters / A = portable station of 3 or more people, OK (State). This is great for those that may be mic shy.
Voice, CW (morse code), and Digital are all excepted modes of operation. CW and Digital are worth more points per contact.
Operate as little or as much as you want, the event runs for 24 hours but that doesn't mean you have to.

Rules and more (such as a field day site locator) can get found here: Field Day

Field day is an upcoming topic for the weekly net.
Perhaps some OB members would like to get together for FD, maybe make a Rally Point out of it for those that may be interest in ham radio but haven't made the plunge yet.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

In previous years I had spent FD with the local club I run around with at a fire station. Pics below are from last year.
This year I plan to head to SE Oklahoma to the Ouachita National Forest and set up with a buddy or two.

Raising the multiband HF and 6 meter Yagis.
View attachment 94136

Multiband Vertical, multiband wire, and the satellite antennas can also be seen here.
View attachment 94137

If you couldn't tell by the clouds in the above pictures we were anticipating bad weather which finally arrived in the middle of Saturday night shutting down operations for a number of hours. Caught this beautiful strike.
View attachment 94138
CQ Prerunner. DE N2BBT How was your field day? FD here in Davie, Fl, our club (Davie Cooper City Armature Radio Club) was very active on 6 to 80m. Phone, Digital, and CW were our modes. Just for grins, we had contacts on D-Star. Where did you overland to?

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

CQ Prerunner. DE N2BBT How was your field day? FD here in Davie, Fl, our club (Davie Cooper City Armature Radio Club) was very active on 6 to 80m. Phone, Digital, and CW were our modes. Just for grins, we had contacts on D-Star.
It was good. Worked 10, 20, and 40. Could have worked 6m but didn't hear anyone. Tried 15 but my 40m antenna was not great on 15m and the radios internal tuner was really unhappy trying to tune it for 15m. I checked the antennas with the analyzer before I got started but failed to check it for 15m. Wanted to work some digital but didn't have time to finish up my cables to connect the tablet to the radio so was just SSB this year. I did have APRS ready to go to make a FD contact through the ISS digipeater but it did not appear to be in operation during the first fly over and never tried the 2nd.

Where did you overland to?
:tearsofjoy: The other side of my property. I had intended on a trip into the National Forest but was not able to for personal reasons and the other guys I was going to go with also had something come up so maybe next year.

Last edited: