Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Long
Member #

Good afternoon y’all, I am planning a 2-3 week long trip. I’m looking to start in Arkansas and make our way to and through the Carolinas. If any of y’all have any recommended trails, campsites, views, small towns, restaurants, fishing holes, etc... it would be greatly appreciated. I’m planning the trip for fall of 2018, the exact date hasn’t been established yet. Anyone is also welcome to tag along, even if it’s only for a day or two.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

There's a ton of stuff to do in and around the TN/NC border in the Great Smoky Mountains, both in and outside of the national park. Excellent trout fishing with a good outfitter in Townsend TN, a small town with a few restaurants and grocery, etc near the entrance to the National Park and the road up to Cades Cove campground, which is also a fav to many, especially in the fall. Lots of hiking trails with amazing views, biking ops, history, just all sorts of things. Also two national forests near the Smokies in NC, too; the Nantahala and Pisgah Nat'l Forests, with the Chatahoochee and Cherokee Nat'l Forests nearby in GA and TN/NC. You'll have no problem cramming as much or little as you want into 2-3 weeks. Personally, I'd steer clear of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, unless you want to see mini-versions of Las Vegas and huge tourist traps.

Asheville NC, too, is chock full of interesting things from the grand Biltmore Estate--where the last Overland Expo East was held last Sept--to tons of restaurants and shops and museums.

If you're going all the way to the coast, there's enough there, too, to keep you busy the whole trip, from Charleston to Myrtle Beach to Nags Head. An awful lot will depend on if you're traveling solo or have family/friends along and what their interests are and what percentage of camping you want to do and what percentage of small town exploring. If traveling solo, I usually plan to only do a hundred miles or so a day, often less, and take my time exploring both small towns and camping.

You've got almost a year to plan, and I'm sure it will all settle down into a doable, fun, trip. I'd keep some of the exploring to new stuff and not only what others have recommended.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
It's not quite the Carolinas, but in Independence, VA (about an 1.5 hours from TN) there's the Jefferson National Forest. I haven't done a full exploration of it, but there are some nice spots there. You can camp next to Hale Lake (can't drive to the camp spots there though. Gotta walk in.)

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Depending on where you start in Arkansas, Byrd’s Adventure is a lot of fun. Be sure to check out the Oark General Store for breakfast.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

There's a ton of stuff to do in and around the TN/NC border in the Great Smoky Mountains, both in and outside of the national park. Excellent trout fishing with a good outfitter in Townsend TN, a small town with a few restaurants and grocery, etc near the entrance to the National Park and the road up to Cades Cove campground, which is also a fav to many, especially in the fall. Lots of hiking trails with amazing views, biking ops, history, just all sorts of things. Also two national forests near the Smokies in NC, too; the Nantahala and Pisgah Nat'l Forests, with the Chatahoochee and Cherokee Nat'l Forests nearby in GA and TN/NC. You'll have no problem cramming as much or little as you want into 2-3 weeks. Personally, I'd steer clear of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, unless you want to see mini-versions of Las Vegas and huge tourist traps.

Asheville NC, too, is chock full of interesting things from the grand Biltmore Estate--where the last Overland Expo East was held last Sept--to tons of restaurants and shops and museums.

If you're going all the way to the coast, there's enough there, too, to keep you busy the whole trip, from Charleston to Myrtle Beach to Nags Head. An awful lot will depend on if you're traveling solo or have family/friends along and what their interests are and what percentage of camping you want to do and what percentage of small town exploring. If traveling solo, I usually plan to only do a hundred miles or so a day, often less, and take my time exploring both small towns and camping.

You've got almost a year to plan, and I'm sure it will all settle down into a doable, fun, trip. I'd keep some of the exploring to new stuff and not only what others have recommended.
That’s allot of good info. We live in Pittsburgh and have been going to Allegheny National Forest. I want to go to the Smoky Mountains with the kids in the fall or next Year sometime.

Reactions: Road