• HTML tutorial

Mr_miyagisan

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Galveston, IN
Member #

Good morning everyone,

I'm at the tail end of planning my September western loop (so I think). This is more of a road trip with a fair amount of well known trails to include the Morrison jeep trail, the Rubicon, the Moab, and the alpine loop in CO. Going to be about 95% RTT camping with one hotel stay and a couple of friends couches. I have a full excel file showing the stops we plan on making, mileage, a estimated cost calculator, estimated drive times and google map hyperlinks of the routes we are taking as of now. If anyone would like to use it or give it a look over to see what you think, this is my first major trip planning so I welcome input on it and I am more than happy to share the file with anyone, also working on google earth links too. Below is a screenshot of what I have so far.

The vehicle we will be taking is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with the following done or will be done before the trip:

-2.5" OME lift and QD sway bar links from DPG offroad, I have the leaf and spacers to make this a 3.5" if I want to.
-245/75r16 Goodyear duratracs, possibly moving to 235/85r16 STT pros before the trip
-4.10 gears
-ARB front locker in a LP Dana 30
-Detroit Trutrac LSD in a c8.25 for the rear
-Front Dirtbound off-road bumper with 2" receiver
-Custom platform rack measuring 50"x74"
-Tepui Kukenman 3 RTT
-OBA
-Single group 31 marine battery (havent decided on a brand yet)
-Dometic CFX-50us
-Rear cargo drawer system
-Campchef Teton stove
-10 gallon potable water
-10 gallon spare fuel
-Front and rear moveable winch
-Rear Dirtbound off-road tire carrier
-Rock Sliders
I'm sure I'm missing something but with this build I don't think I'm going to have no problem taking on this trip, not that i plan on doing the roughest parts of the Rubicon or moab (I do want to drive the cherokee home after all lol).
So thanks for looking and thanks anyone so input on additional trails I should do (still looking for a good one in Oregon) and for any pointers you share with me.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I just quickly looked at your schedule, so I might be missing something. But it looks like you are not visiting several of the parks, just driving to them and then on to the next? I've spent four days in Grand Teton, and six in Yellowstone, and I don't feel like I've even scratched the surface. It takes about half a day to drive across Yellowstone if you don't stop anywhere. Expect long delays any time any animal is anywhere near the road. A bear sighting will make the road look like a scene from The Walking Dead, with cars pulled off everywhere, or just abandoned in the road while everyone runs to get photos of the bear.

We spent six weeks coming back to Ohio from Seattle, and didn't get to half of what you have planned. M two cents would be to cut the list and spend some time enjoying what you're visiting at a more relaxed pace.

Mr_miyagisan

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Galveston, IN
Member #

I just quickly looked at your schedule, so I might be missing something. But it looks like you are not visiting several of the parks, just driving to them and then on to the next? I've spent four days in Grand Teton, and six in Yellowstone, and I don't feel like I've even scratched the surface. It takes about half a day to drive across Yellowstone if you don't stop anywhere. Expect long delays any time any animal is anywhere near the road. A bear sighting will make the road look like a scene from The Walking Dead, with cars pulled off everywhere, or just abandoned in the road while everyone runs to get photos of the bear.

We spent six weeks coming back to Ohio from Seattle, and didn't get to half of what you have planned. M two cents would be to cut the list and spend some time enjoying what you're visiting at a more relaxed pace.

It really is a big trip that is quick moving. Also Yellowstone for example isn't really one of the parks that we are really that interested in. Its one of those things where I'm doing the Morrison trail and its right there, so why not. same with the Tetons, its right there next to Yellowstone so why not. As for the rest of the trip I would almost go out on a limb and call it a skimming trip, all of these parks (except for Glacier) we have never been too. So we sort of are skimming all the parks we can to see which we like the most and come back to later. Now this may be a terrible idea lol I don't know really. The only trip I've planned like this before was from Indiana to Glacier and it was about a week and a half trip from IN->SD->Missoula,2days->GlacierNP,4days->Missoula,2days->IN.

bivouac.overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Syracuse, UT, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm planning a trip also. I like the use of the excel spreadsheet you used. I might have to steal this from you. Mine is two weeks and I'll be hitting a lot of the same NP you are. Good luck with your travels!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk