Fabricators Help!!! What size metal for RTT rack on trailer?

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I picked up a Smittybilt Overlander RTT during Black Friday and am now getting ready to have a rack built on my Trailer to support it. I am considering doing it myself in which case I would need to keep it pretty basic.

I am thinking square tubing but not sure what size I would need.

Here is a very general idea of what I am thinking painted onto a pic of my trailer.

I am thinking to weld 4 legs to the side of the trailer around the fenders where there is already metal frame. Then connect the legs with the same size tubing. And probably add some 45 degree pieces in the corners for rigidity.

Would 3/4" square tube work, 1"?

Anyone know the distance I need to stay between from front to rear for the crossbars the tent will attach to?

Trailerack.png

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
My trailer was built using 2" square tubing as the frame and it's very stout. I'm certainly not a fabricator but I would think 2" would be the smallest you should go. This would also allow you to bolt to or screw into the frame in the future of you chose to mount something else.

Reactions: SubeeBen
S

SubeeBen

Agree with tota. I would not go 3/4” or 1”. I would say 1 1/2” min. But 2” IMO would be stout enough to hold tent plus other accessories added on in the future. Food for thought your rtt comes in at 100 to 130 lbs plus driving @ freeway speed + the off-roading aspect. I have always been good at overbuilding but not to excessive & have never had anything break or welds brake etc. hope this helps & maybe look at what size tubing other companies are using or find a local metal fab shop & ask them. Good luck & look forward to your build. Don’t forget to share once your done.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I agree with the 1 1/2” to 2” suggestions but you can thin walled to keep your weight down. I used .06” wall on my trailer everywhere but the main “T” where I used .125”.IMG_1208.JPG

dotScratchy

Rank I

Contributor III

KC
First Name
Skylar
Last Name
Carnes
@MoreGone

What wall thickness did you end up going with? Looks like @Mark D went with .06" with a majority of his build, but I'm still a little worried about going that thin.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

@MoreGone

What wall thickness did you end up going with? Looks like @Mark D went with .06" with a majority of his build, but I'm still a little worried about going that thin.
Yes, I used .06” wall. The trailer has been all through Arizona, Colorado, Utah (including the Lockhart Basin Trail). It depends on how it is engineered. Stick a RTT on the top of four poles without triangulation and it will fail. If you want me to look over your plans we can exchange emails.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I made my roof rack out of 1" and with a hunk of Plywood across it I thought it was great. But if you can afford the weight, use a little bigger and less of it.
Zim
roofrack1.JPG

dotScratchy

Rank I

Contributor III

KC
First Name
Skylar
Last Name
Carnes
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with 1.5” 1/8” wall for piece of mind. Mark my plans are similar to MoreGones’s. So far it definitely seems sturdy enough though I haven’t got the tent up there yet.