louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I recently bought my first camper and of course need more storage. I have some dead space on the walls, but they are real thin and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to attach to. I don't like the idea of shelving because its heavy and more difficult to secure items when going on bouncy roads, so I eventually came across the idea of using pouches attached with snaps. Drill a small hole and attach a snap base with a screw and now I have a good anchor point to attach pouches. The pouches hold items in place traveling and are light weight, low profile, and can easily be changed out. I put a small pouch under the window of my door for items like flashlights, etc. I can just open the door and grab a flashlight. I really like the snaps because I can install the base one time and change out the pouches without having to unscrew and rescrew, which doesn't work well with the thin material used for walls. I bought the snaps on Amazon for $8 and 5 big pouch organizers off Amazon for $30. I now have a lot of storage for under $40 and no work other than screwing in a few snaps. Quick and easy and easy to change later if I need to.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I recently bought my first camper and of course need more storage. I have some dead space on the walls, but they are real thin and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to attach to. I don't like the idea of shelving because its heavy and more difficult to secure items when going on bouncy roads, so I eventually came across the idea of using pouches attached with snaps. Drill a small hole and attach a snap base with a screw and now I have a good anchor point to attach pouches. The pouches hold items in place traveling and are light weight, low profile, and can easily be changed out. I put a small pouch under the window of my door for items like flashlights, etc. I can just open the door and grab a flashlight. I really like the snaps because I can install the base one time and change out the pouches without having to unscrew and rescrew, which doesn't work well with the thin material used for walls. I bought the snaps on Amazon for $8 and 5 big pouch organizers off Amazon for $30. I now have a lot of storage for under $40 and no work other than screwing in a few snaps. Quick and easy and easy to change later if I need to.
Very nice idea. Have you found that the snaps want to pull loose ? Our teardrop walls are extremely thin and that would be the only concern.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Very nice idea. Have you found that the snaps want to pull loose ? Our teardrop walls are extremely thin and that would be the only concern.
I put a couple snaps in existing holes that held a curtain rod over the door window, and they seemed loose, so I used a dab of epoxy on the threads and back of snap. The other snaps I used a very small drill bit to pilot and ensure the threads get a good bite...don't over tighten, it'll strip pretty easy. I might eventually go back and use the small plastic wall anchors that expand in the wall as the screw goes in if they get loose over time. If that fails, I guess I'd try using rivets. My wife does leather work and we considered riveting a short leather strap about 2" long to the wall that has a snap on it and that way the little strap is secured to the wall and to remove the pouch, you could grab the end of the strap and pull the snap off without directly pulling on the wall. So far direct mounting works.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I put a couple snaps in existing holes that held a curtain rod over the door window, and they seemed loose, so I used a dab of epoxy on the threads and back of snap. The other snaps I used a very small drill bit to pilot and ensure the threads get a good bite...don't over tighten, it'll strip pretty easy. I might eventually go back and use the small plastic wall anchors that expand in the wall as the screw goes in if they get loose over time. If that fails, I guess I'd try using rivets. My wife does leather work and we considered riveting a short leather strap about 2" long to the wall that has a snap on it and that way the little strap is secured to the wall and to remove the pouch, you could grab the end of the strap and pull the snap off without directly pulling on the wall. So far direct mounting works.
Thanks for the info