Dchipwell

Rank 0

Contributor II

Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hipwell
We pressed on through the town and found ourselves in a modern day mining camp at the town's northern outskirts. We had an interesting chat with the miners who informed us that with modern technology, valuable minerals can be extracted from once derelict mines that were unobtainable by miners of the early 20th century, so that many of the old mines like Dolly Varden are being re-opened and money being made from them. We took a lovely scenic walk up the road toward the old mine and encountered this beautiful swimming hole beneath an old rail trestle bridge that had been converted for road use.
View attachment 124256
View attachment 124257
We were sorely tempted to take a dip, but we pressed on and encountered this awesome ruined cabin in the woods.
View attachment 124259

View attachment 124260
View attachment 124261
View attachment 124262
I found the kitchen the most intriguing, with its hole in the counter where the sink once was, and the kitchen table, now rotted and fallen, still present.
View attachment 124263
View attachment 124264

View attachment 124265
The Dolly Varden Mine is nearly 25km north of the town up in the mountains, so we decided to turn back at this point and head back through town. We encountered several other interesting buildings on the way back, including the Alice Arm School.
View attachment 124266
View attachment 124267
View attachment 124268
It was on our return trip that we encountered what was for me the highlight of our visit to Alice Arm, the Dolly Varden House. More to follow on that!
Thanks for sharing my Grandparents and parents lived there (mom was born in Anyox) and we still own a home in Alice Arm (or what is left of it).

Reactions: CR-Venturer

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thanks for sharing my Grandparents and parents lived there (mom was born in Anyox) and we still own a home in Alice Arm (or what is left of it).
Wow, that's so cool! I'm so glad you enjoyed the trip report. Have you been up to the old house in Alice Arm at all? I'm guessing the old house is in a state of decay, unfortunately. If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend the trip. One of the most beautiful places on earth :)

Feel free to share, if you wish, any historical photos you have of the area to the thread. I love seeing the history of BC come alive, especially forgotten ghost towns and other such places.

Cheers!