El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Due to a double exhaust pipe system that are already hot as sh..., in combination with skid plates, it's getting hot on my floor.

What's your opinion of exhaust great wraps and does titanium heat wraps require high heat spray before applying it and silicon spray after?

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'd have to defer to someone else about titanium wraps specifically, but in general heat wraps are generally more hassle than not. The main issue besides longevity (because they do break down over time) is that the wrap holds moisture and contamination against the pipe and causes it to rot out prematurely.

I would personally suggest a universal clamp on heat shield. No prep or worries about getting it wrapped perfectly. Plus, as they provide an air gap above the pipe, the rot problem is a non-issue. Tons of options out there as far as length and material. And they are repositionable if you need to tweak it's placement. Good luck.

Reactions: OBB and Sparksalot

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've used the fiberglass heat wraps with great success over the years. Mostly it was on headers. I never tried the titanium. On my TJ, I had a huge skid, It ran from just behind the oil pan to just past the transfercase. The cat was in there and the exhaust ran about two inch away from the trans/transfer. I wrapped the entire down pipe all the way to the muffler including the cat. I ran that for seven or eight years will no ill effect. I did peel it off once in a while to see if the exhaust pipe corroded which it didn't. I also saw no difference from my cat output on the smog machine. I was afraid it would run hotter and possibly even clean up my emissions some but no.

On my old tow rig, the headers would glow bright red. Those I had wrapped for easy ten years with no effect on the headers.
I see people talk about their exhaust corroding from the wrap. I cant say either way because I live in a dry climate. On my TJ I was paranoid which is why I peeled it off a couple of times. I do have friends with race vehicles and a couple of motor cycles who run the titanium with no ill effects that they mentioned. On both my tow rig and TJ the wrap was stained from mud, especially the TJ.

If you read what the wrap manufactures say, they talk about increased exhaust flow do to keeping the heat/pressure contained. One of my buddies runs a pit crew on a few track teams. We talked about heat wrap to great length. His comment was, most of the cars they run have it and if it makes a difference in performance, its slight and the drivers haven't seem to notice. It does help when working around hot exhaust and keeping the heat away from the cab.

All in all, none of the people I have encountered noticed any degrading of the metal from moisture but again, this is in a moderately dry climate. I personally wouldn't hesitate to put it on anything.

Reactions: El-Dracho and OBB

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So your problem is heat build up under the skidplates, yes you can wrap your exhaust under the skidplates and it will help. I have not heard about significant increased corrosion under the wrap with cars that are regularly driven because humidity dries very quick.

But... Your problem is not enough airflow under the skidplate and that is what you should try to adress first and in addition to that, I would apply a heat shield onto the body.
Both is lower maintenance and probably better long term solution.

Think about what manufacturers do, they shield the parts that shouldn't get hot instead of trying to keep the heat in the exhaust in most cases and there is a reason why they do so.

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
So your problem is heat build up under the skidplates, yes you can wrap your exhaust under the skidplates and it will help. I have not heard about significant increased corrosion under the wrap with cars that are regularly driven because humidity dries very quick.

But... Your problem is not enough airflow under the skidplate and that is what you should try to adress first and in addition to that, I would apply a heat shield onto the body.
Both is lower maintenance and probably better long term solution.

Think about what manufacturers do, they shield the parts that shouldn't get hot instead of trying to keep the heat in the exhaust in most cases and there is a reason why they do so.

I've a heat shield and you're absolutely right, I'll improve and add more.
Also my first thought was to increase airflow but I've no idea so far to achieve that. In the end, the solution has to withdraw off-roading circumstances. Going through water and rough terrain.
I did spacers, 8mm between skidplates and body to incease airflow, and drill many 10mm holes in the skid plates, but its not enough. Have planned also to drill 10mm holes into side stelps. But protecting the underbody with heat foils seems expensive and high maintenace. What kind of heat shields do you mean?
I think wrapping reduces around 50% heat, so I thought that addresses the problem to a good degree.

I've a good amount of electric cables on the cabin floor so the heat concerns me also there. Here I think I'll do add heat foils on the floor and wrap the cables.

All a lot of work and nevertheless I need those skid plates every time I go out there.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I've a heat shield and you're absolutely right, I'll improve and add more.
Also my first thought was to increase airflow but I've no idea so far to achieve that. In the end, the solution has to withdraw off-roading circumstances. Going through water and rough terrain.
I did spacers, 8mm between skidplates and body to incease airflow, and drill many 10mm holes in the skid plates, but its not enough. Have planned also to drill 10mm holes into side stelps. But protecting the underbody with heat foils seems expensive and high maintenace. What kind of heat shields do you mean?
I think wrapping reduces around 50% heat, so I thought that addresses the problem to a good degree.

I've a good amount of electric cables on the cabin floor so the heat concerns me also there. Here I think I'll do add heat foils on the floor and wrap the cables.

All a lot of work and nevertheless I need those skid plates every time I go out there.
Okay I need to look into stuff and availability as I'm in Europe.
It's not easy to make exact recommendations as I don't know your vehicle and skidplates and so on, normally when you're under the car you can see what and how to shield.
I'll try to post you a few links to stuff that I believe could work but it's getting late today so bear with me... I'm going to try tomorrow.

Reactions: El-Dracho and OBB

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes, the fiberglass exhaust tape already mentioned is also widely used here in Europe. Especially in motor sports. Wet wrapped and of course worked with gloves, otherwise it becomes very uncomfortable and itchy on the skin like hell! Fixation usually with wire at the ends. For tight bends, for example, at the manifold there is quite narrow tape available, which then goes better around the tight radii.

There are also so heat protection mats to stick on the vehicle floor, but these could rot quite fast especially in humid weather or climate. Then there are also heat protection plates made of stainless steel or aluminum, which you can attach very well by riveting, for example, on the vehicle floor and (in the aluminum version) can also be adapted well three-dimensionally to the bends and shapes.

Reactions: MazeVX and OBB

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Yes, the fiberglass exhaust tape already mentioned is also widely used here in Europe. Especially in motor sports. Wet wrapped and of course worked with gloves, otherwise it becomes very uncomfortable and itchy on the skin like hell! Fixation usually with wire at the ends. For tight bends, for example, at the manifold there is quite narrow tape available, which then goes better around the tight radii.

There are also so heat protection mats to stick on the vehicle floor, but these could rot quite fast especially in humid weather or climate. Then there are also heat protection plates made of stainless steel or aluminum, which you can attach very well by riveting, for example, on the vehicle floor and (in the aluminum version) can also be adapted well three-dimensionally to the bends and shapes.
Heat protection on the floor sounds still interesting to me. Not so much the aspect that they rot. Are there also some mats that stick the the floor that are only metal so they don't rot? Also what's about heat resistant tape around cables that are on the floor? That's one of my biggest concerns. That the heat is so high that my electric parts, connectors, cable fail.

Regarding wrap. A titanium wrap not better than fiberglass? No wet wrapping needed.
Is it suggested to add the heat resistant silicon spray before wrapping for corrosion protection but also that the tape attaches better. Then another layer or spray when wrapped?

What about ceramic spray or heat resistant silicon spray on the underbody where the exhaust is? Additionally to the existing aluminum heat shield.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Heat protection on the floor sounds still interesting to me. Not so much the aspect that they rot. Are there also some mats that stick the the floor that are only metal so they don't rot? Also what's about heat resistant tape around cables that are on the floor? That's one of my biggest concerns. That the heat is so high that my electric parts, connectors, cable fail.

Regarding wrap. A titanium wrap not better than fiberglass? No wet wrapping needed.
Is it suggested to add the heat resistant silicon spray before wrapping for corrosion protection but also that the tape attaches better. Then another layer or spray when wrapped?

What about ceramic spray or heat resistant silicon spray on the underbody where the exhaust is? Additionally to the existing aluminum heat shield.
I only know the metal plates in different sizes, some of which are flexible and can then be adapted to the vehicle floor and then screwed or riveted. Take a look under a modern vehicle, you will also see them on many vehicles. Or glueable mats from fiberglass/aluminum fabric. And the heat protection tape which is wrapped wet. For the protection of cables, there are also insulating sleeves or appropriate tape to wrap the wires.

You can find a lot of these things in racing supplies, at least that's the case here in Europe.

@MazeVX Have you had a chance to look as you had some good ideas mentioned above?

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Yes I found what I was looking for, it's basically a self adhesive heat shield with insulation layer.
Ceramic fiber insulation (like the exhaust wrap) with a baked on aluminum layer and a glue that resist really high temperatures.

I'll put a link to the German shop below, maybe you can talk to them about possible shipping or they know a US based seller...

Reactions: OBB and El-Dracho