Kuba

Rank 0

Contributor I

Europe
First Name
bla
Last Name
bla
Since I don't know where to put it as there is no thread that I found called "If you have a problem with Europe regions this is thread for you", I placed it here hoping someone will notice.
I have found this map, and can't agree with it, most of it anyway.
As I see it, it is still divided politically not geographically.
Europe is located, roughly, between longitudes W10 and E60, so even if you divide it in half Poland, Slovakia and Hungary are in western Europe, yet on your map they represent east.
If you divide Europe in three parts, these countries are still nowhere near eastern Europe.
Why Sardinia is counted as Mediterranean but Corsica is not? Same goes for Albania and former Yugoslavian states (apart from maybe Bosnia which have like 20km of coastline). They all surround Mediterranean Sea.
If it was me I would divide Europe into following regions:
West - Ireland, UK, France, Portugal (some may argue Portugal should be classified as Mediterranean due to similarities with Spain)
Midwest - Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Austria

Middle - Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and maybe Moldova ((based on language, (Romanian is official) and not on location))
East - (Based on the fact that these countries use Cyrillic alphabet) , Russia, Belarus, Ukraine.
Scandinavia - Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland. Historically these countries where always called like that.
Mediterranean (or South) - Spain, Portugal (maybe), Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, Greece (maybe)
Balkans - Albania, Bulgaria, all former Yugoslavian states, Greece (maybe) and Turkey (European part). Balkans on the same principle as Scandinavia.

If it is too much I would put Midwest countries into West region.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Regions are mostly based on cultural way of life, languages and such.
Mid Europe has several people who will be able to speak one or two languages as German, French as here on the forum english.

The former Eastern countries have a greater understanding of the Russian language. And so, it is not so much devided political, as it is devided as a cultural entity.
Like Scandinavia. All countries, have a similar kind of language, except for Finland. But they do speak most of the time english.

It aint easy to devide the world in a way that all people feel happy about it. So, yes, we can always do better. And no region is written in Stone.
If needed Regions will be devided differently.

But for now, this is how it is.

Thanks for your comments.

Reactions: MazeVX

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Since I don't know where to put it as there is no thread that I found called "If you have a problem with Europe regions this is thread for you", I placed it here hoping someone will notice.
I have found this map, and can't agree with it, most of it anyway.
As I see it, it is still divided politically not geographically.
Europe is located, roughly, between longitudes W10 and E60, so even if you divide it in half Poland, Slovakia and Hungary are in western Europe, yet on your map they represent east.
If you divide Europe in three parts, these countries are still nowhere near eastern Europe.
Why Sardinia is counted as Mediterranean but Corsica is not? Same goes for Albania and former Yugoslavian states (apart from maybe Bosnia which have like 20km of coastline). They all surround Mediterranean Sea.
If it was me I would divide Europe into following regions:
West - Ireland, UK, France, Portugal (some may argue Portugal should be classified as Mediterranean due to similarities with Spain)
Midwest - Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Austria

Middle - Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and maybe Moldova ((based on language, (Romanian is official) and not on location))
East - (Based on the fact that these countries use Cyrillic alphabet) , Russia, Belarus, Ukraine.
Scandinavia - Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland. Historically these countries where always called like that.
Mediterranean (or South) - Spain, Portugal (maybe), Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, Greece (maybe)
Balkans - Albania, Bulgaria, all former Yugoslavian states, Greece (maybe) and Turkey (European part). Balkans on the same principle as Scandinavia.

If it is too much I would put Midwest countries into West region.

Hi Kuba,

The Europe regions early on were a huge complicated issue with a lot of hostility and arguing that ultimately led to nothing being resolved and a lot of bitterness. Various Geographical, Cultural and Political proposals were discussed / argued over with many strong differing views so when it was looked at again using online references and a smaller discussion group there were a number of considerations that had to be taken into account when trying to come up with a working system.

There was a need to reduce the number of regions to consolidate membership and enable better representation of members and there was a need to simplify the overall structure so only having 4 Regions was the compromise.

By no means is it a perfect solution and in the real world pretty much everyone wanted to have their own country as a region. That does not mean that things can't be changed but there has to be an overriding consensus and the member numbers have to support it.

Dave

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Europe is not that big.. in 8 h you can cross like 3 countries..
On the other hand I guess people can post where ever is relevant.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
On the other hand I guess people can post where ever is relevant.
Absolutely, the Regions are not to restrict members to one area but exactly the opposite, it’s to encourage European trips and meets plus enable better representation and support.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi!

I agree! Looking at a world map, Europe is such a tiny little area in the world in comparison with other areas.

If it was me I would not divide Europe at all for the reason mentioned above and to follow and to support the european idea!

Cheers, Bjoern

Reactions: Polaris Overland

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Problem is not the distance, it is the diversity of what Europe is.
The diversity is not a problem, it is a gift that we should appreciate. :wink: But I understand what you were going to say.

Cheers, Bjoern

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you everyone for you input into this subject.
As some of you know we worked on the current regional map for some time, getting input from many members representing all the regions. this is how we came up with the current map.

I am constantly reviewing what changes need to be made in the future and my focus right now is the Middle East and Africa. If the member population grows in a specific region I look to see how best to support those members. I try to balance our Regional Directors and Member Representatives to match the population.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you everyone for you input into this subject.
As some of you know we worked on the current regional map for some time, getting input from many members representing all the regions. this is how we came up with the current map.

I am constantly reviewing what changes need to be made in the future and my focus right now is the Middle East and Africa. If the member population grows in a specific region I look to see how best to support those members. I try to balance our Regional Directors and Member Representatives to match the population.
Thanks for the explanation and the effort you put into this! Appreciate that!

Cheers, Bjoern