EMS Glacier Down Jacket Review

• Thread starter expeditionnorth
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
E

expeditionnorth

EMS Glacier Down Jacket Review
I have wanted to upgrade my various fleece items to down but the expense was one I could do without. I have several fleece jackets and vests and even pants. Fleece is relatively inexpensive and readily available almost every where by every brand. So yesterday we went into our local EMS or Eastern Mountain Sports store and my son spotted these on sale for 50% off, how could I resist? I have had down ski coats like CB before so I know of the insulating qualities of down and can not resist. I know we have members and visitors from far, so here is their territory or one could buy online & no I do not work for them in any manner, or do family. Sale ends Tuesday, so hurry. http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3933253

However EMS claims, “For over 40 years in the Northeast we’ve been making products for hard-core outdoor…” So I hope this is an American made product, unlike all the Columbia gear I pay top dollar for … the company web site describes the jacket as, ”Wear it as an outer layer or under a storm proof shell, 650-fill down insulation is warm and compressible, Lightweight shell and lining made of recycled polyester, Amazingly packable; stows into its own pocket, Center-front full-zip closure with draft flap, Drop-tail hem provides greater coverage, Two zippered hand warmer pockets with a cozy lining, Interior zippered security pocket, Zippered chest pocket, Elasticized cuffs, Hem cinch cord adjusts to keep warmth in, Fiber Content: 100% recycled polyester”.

Ok so the insulation is 650-fill goose down and the material is polyester. What I do like is that the brand label is very discreet and hardly noticeable on the left shoulder area. So I am not advertising for free like other brands.

I always prefer a coat or jacket to have a chest pocket. It makes getting your keys or other small commonly used things easier. I estimate this pocket is roughly 5x5”.

One of my favorite items on any jacket is a large zipper pull, these are on the small side especially if one is wearing gloves in conditions like this jacket is meant to be used in. I may cut these off and make my own. It is water resistant; however it seems to block any and all wind today.

The inside collar, and pockets are lined with a very soft fleece like material, however it feels thinner, but fits the packable theme I suppose. Oh yeah the only other label is here also.

The interior “stashable” pocket is located on the left inside next to the zipper. It allows you in case you lost the pouch that was included to compress and carry the jacket in a very small configuration. I would estimate this pocket to be about 8x12”, which is large enough to get the entire jacket into there. This pocket also has that fleece like lining and is large enough to carry other gear if need be, like a spare pair of gloves !

Here is the bag they include to carry your jacket in & it inserted for comparison purposes. The bags are color coordinated with the color of the coat.

Here my son is modeling his for illustration purposes. The jackets are quite large and generously cut, which makes it nice when doing physically active. The puff of the jacket seems to wear off after you wear it for a while, you never notice. Today we had about a 25mph wind and these jackets kept us warm with only a t-shirt underneath. We were running errands. I like the long length of the jacket also. There is a drawstring on the bottom if you want or need to secure the bottom a bit. I never care for this feature. The two hand pockets which may be hard to see are of ample size also, and the same lining. I feel EMS has done a great job with this design.

The back of the jacket is just as long and should provide ample protection from the elements as well.

My original intentions were to buy this with the hopes of using it as an under layer, but after wearing it as an outer layer I have no reservations about its effectiveness in our winter climate alone in reasonable temperatures say to around 0 degrees. Overall I like the jacket. The pro’s are inexpensive [on sale] lightweight/packable, goose down, included stuff sack, large fit. The only con is the small zippers pulls. Thanks for letting me share my new jacket with you.

I hope this photo shows just how a pack would still allow access to the chest pocket even though I am only wearing a Camelbak. My only complaint is the size of the zipper pulls as they are a bit small in my opinion for gloved use. I measured the pocket and it is 5X" like I thought. It is really amazing how lightweight this jacket is!