Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
My recent trip to OXW allowed my crew and I to try out a few easy recipes. We opted to prep it all out ahead of time and freeze it to maintain a solid temp in the RTIC cooler. (side note: when we got home after 10 days, things were still cold and partially frozen).

Cauliflower taco bake - saute up carrot and cauliflower first as they take a bit to cook down, then add bell peppers, onion, (meat, if you eat it) and add in taco seasoning (I make my own). I like this on a tortilla with cheese or dipped out with chips and cheese.
Black bean taco/quesadilla - saute up black beans with taco seasoning for a bit, then add bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, (meat, if you eat it) and either make it into a taco or quesadilla
***Mac n sprouts - make your mac n cheese how you like it in one pan, saute up halved or quarters brussel sprouts with Cavender's Greek seasoning until partially golden and mix together with mac (our personal favorite!)****
Stadium brats - saute sliced onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno cheddar brats (sliced in half length-wise), season to taste, add to a tortilla, add condiments as desired, and enjoy a limited clean-up meal (we just made this when we got home!)

Hope you enjoy! We primarily eat vegetarian, but cheat occasionally. We like simple and flavorful both at home and on the trail. We opted to prep meals out ahead of time for OXW and the Grand Canyon trip over the past 2 weeks to just make life easier. I can safely say we will be prepping out ahead of time in the future, even if it's limited prep.

Reactions: BigTuna117

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

An interesting way for quick eats on the trail is to buy one of those portable 12v "Lunchbox" heaters. They actually do get pretty dang hot, so I know a couple of people who will freeze meals (or parts of meals) in a tinfoil mini-bread-pan (often times sold alongside these heaters), and will heat them up while they are breaking down camp. At least, back when it took that long (10+ minutes) to break down camp. It's gotten much faster these days. I have one, and I used it to heat up a frozen burrito once, lol
Not exactly what you were looking for, I know, but your post reminded me of that.

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
Mountain House meals are great for quick hot meals and they taste great too with very little clean up. Foil packs are another quick easy meal....chop up whatever you want to eat, wrap it in foil and set it on hot coals, flip it every so often until hot/cooked/ Enjoy with easy clean up also.