Eastern Iowa Weekend

• HTML tutorial

artist8686

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago, IL
Member #

There are a few in Illinois and a lot in Indiana. I wanted to take my wife for a drive up lake Michigan next weekend hoping for some Fall colors, but now she works weekends. Trying to plan a run up to Michigan next year. Earlier this year we were going to run some trails in Indiana but it kinda fell apart.
Good to know! Definitely more off road options in Indiana, I'm looking to get up to Michigan next summer, do a weekend at silver lake and then go up to the UP and camp on superior at 12mi beach once I get a rtt. I'd love to go out by the galena area or do the trans Wisconsin adventure trail. I'd go it alone but don't have a winch, so I'd rather wheel with a partner/multiple rigs. Same with Drummond island, I'd rather not get stuck and have no one to assist getting me unstuck. After my trip to mob this summer, I'm ready for all sorts of adventures, and am slowly building my Rubicon up. I have my new camp lights, and am ordering the rack in the spring so I can carry gear, kayaks, snowboard, and have a solid roof top tent option!

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Good to know! Definitely more off road options in Indiana, I'm looking to get up to Michigan next summer, do a weekend at silver lake and then go up to the UP and camp on superior at 12mi beach once I get a rtt. I'd love to go out by the galena area or do the trans Wisconsin adventure trail. I'd go it alone but don't have a winch, so I'd rather wheel with a partner/multiple rigs. Same with Drummond island, I'd rather not get stuck and have no one to assist getting me unstuck. After my trip to mob this summer, I'm ready for all sorts of adventures, and am slowly building my Rubicon up. I have my new camp lights, and am ordering the rack in the spring so I can carry gear, kayaks, snowboard, and have a solid roof top tent option!
Sounds like your Rubi is well equipped. I have a winch but no lockers. We usually go to the UP each summer and stay in a cabin along the Manistique River, see the sights, canoeing, etc. Usually head up to Lake Superior and see the light houses. Drummond Island is on my short list. Tried to set up a Drummond trip this Fall but it's hard to get people to commit. Galena is pretty cool. The TWAT is on my list too. Seen some cool vids from the Wisconsin trail. I'm wanting to put together a "trails and tales" camping weekend this Fall. Get together, talk rigs and trails and stuff like that. But again, it's so hard to get anyone to commit.

artist8686

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chicago, IL
Member #

I hear ya on getting people together, everyone has their own lives, schedules, commitments so it's understandable. I've been up to traverse city with a grand Cherokee but want to bring my kayaks and wrangler up north for some more fun. I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock, I love it! I do have lockers front and back and sway bar disconnect which came in handy in Utah. My bumper is set up to house a winch inside it so that's on my list down the road, I could have used one when we got stuck on a mountain pass in snow, but thankfully a hiker had his truck around the corner and gave us a yank. So for now it's the hi-lift as a come along and tow straps.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I hear ya on getting people together, everyone has their own lives, schedules, commitments so it's understandable. I've been up to traverse city with a grand Cherokee but want to bring my kayaks and wrangler up north for some more fun. I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock, I love it! I do have lockers front and back and sway bar disconnect which came in handy in Utah. My bumper is set up to house a winch inside it so that's on my list down the road, I could have used one when we got stuck on a mountain pass in snow, but thankfully a hiker had his truck around the corner and gave us a yank. So for now it's the hi-lift as a come along and tow straps.
Sounds like your set up pretty well. I used to live in Traverse City and we go there every year. The wife and I are actually talking about moving there next year. Also looking at Elkhart, Indiana. Northern Michigan is awesome and lots of places to explore. If I ever get around to putting lockers in my Jeep, Moab is on the list. I'd like to trade in for a Rubicon, but my Jeep is paid for and I have a lot of money in it.