Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

Over Easter weekend I met up with my friend and fellow OB member @jz8ty to do some exploring around wirton and some other spots further up the peninsula.

Here's an overview of our route
IMG_0955.PNG

We started off the day by meeting at a spot where Jason had camped the night before. After that we headed out to explore some gravel roads and light trails we had explored perviously, hope of to find something new as well.
IMG_0958.PNG

And...we did find something new. Driving along a backroad that edged the escarpment we noticed what looked like a Volkswagen bettle...about 40ft down from the edge of the escarpment! So naturally we reversed to check it out. This led to finding an old and very cool farm dump full of history. I stole these pics from Jason, like a dummy I forgot my camera in the truck.

IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0953.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0956.JPG

After exploring the dump for about 2hours we decided to head up the peninsula to the Cabot head lighthouse, hoping to find a secluded place to camp as well. Most of the drive is boring old hwy6 but the single track gravel road to the lighthouse is spectacular! Escarpment on one side Georgian Bay on the other.

IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

With most of the northern section of the peninsula being part of the national park we decided to play it safe and spend the night at the park. Surprised to find they were still offering off-season rates of 11$ per night!

IMG_0939.JPG

Last edited:

Jacob Camp

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Burlington Ontario
Member #

Hi Looks like a fun day trip.
I'm going up to my Cottage this weekend In Sauble Beach. Can you recommend some good spots,? how Much was camping in the area?
I would like to find that light house, and some trails if there are any.
Cheers.

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

Here's some more info on the lighthouse station
http://www.cabothead.ca/
Although I'm sad to say it yet won't be operational this year, no funding and a lack of interest in volunteering. The road and site are still open, just no tours or access to the buildings.

We lucked out with the camping costs since it was preseason. Now the national park is open and charging the normal almost hotel rates. Also at last check they are almost booked solid all summer.