Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have looked around and found some good idea on how to do this but would like some straight forward answers, possibly picures of setups and parts that still exist. (alot of threads on other forum have parts not in production anymore). I am not sure where a good place for a second battery would be (prefer somewhere in the engine bay), and I dont know the wiring and making sure that the batter charges with the vehicle on but does not drain the starter battery qhen the vehicle is turned off. The Blue Sea ACR seems to be a good option.

any advice and help would be great (or kits already made for a 2015 ram)

Bruce Pettersen

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sparks, Washoe County, Nevada, United States
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Pettersen (KE7PMR)
Member #

I have looked around and found some good idea on how to do this but would like some straight forward answers, possibly picures of setups and parts that still exist. (alot of threads on other forum have parts not in production anymore). I am not sure where a good place for a second battery would be (prefer somewhere in the engine bay), and I dont know the wiring and making sure that the batter charges with the vehicle on but does not drain the starter battery qhen the vehicle is turned off. The Blue Sea ACR seems to be a good option.

I just did that. I bought a Thor 200 amp battery isolator for $67 from inverters R us. They have a brick & mortar presence here in Reno that I bought it from. My son in law and I installed it with two interstate batteries. One a start battery and one accessory battery. Both in the engine bay of my lifted Silverado.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

I just did that. I bought a Thor 200 amp battery isolator for $67 from inverters R us. They have a brick & mortar presence here in Reno that I bought it from. My son in law and I installed it with two interstate batteries. One a start battery and one accessory battery. Both in the engine bay of my lifted Silverado.
that looks fairly simple and straight forward looking at it... and a lot cheaper than the route i was looking at taking.

Bruce Pettersen

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sparks, Washoe County, Nevada, United States
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Pettersen (KE7PMR)
Member #

that looks fairly simple and straight forward looking at it... and a lot cheaper than the route i was looking at taking.
What are you going to be running?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
What are you going to be running?
right now only my exterior lighting (4x Rigid scene lights) and my power station (this will only charge when the battery is recieving a charge so it wont drain the battery).

another question, would i be able to ude a deep cycle battery for the second without causing problems?

brent marcum

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm in the process of building a 2016 RAM 1500. I'm building a battery/compressor box to mount in the bed of my truck on top of my Decked unit. I've used a UTV tool box from DeeZee to mount everything. My tank will be mounted in the bed as well due to space. I'll send pice as soon as I can.IMG_7208.jpeg

Reactions: K12