NW_Traveler

Rank 0

Contributor I

Seattle, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Coldiron
Hi. I'm new to overlanding. Just picked up a Schutt XV-2 from the for sale section, and I'm excited to take it out. I was trying it out and drove off a small curb and the drop seemed like it put a lot of stress on my Jeep GC. I'm imagining being on a trail and dropping off small rocks or ledges and putting stress on the vehicle. Do you all just take it super slow on drops and bumps, or is there something I should add to the hitch to accommodate? Right now I have a max-coupler but that does nothing really for vertical drops or rises. Newbie questions I know. Thanks for helping me out!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

you will get different answers, as for me whether traveling down main wash board National Forest dirt roads, trails, creek crossings, I take it easy. I am in no hurry for the destination I am headed. For me it's all about slow & easy @ times crawling over exposed rocks , in & out of creek crossings through wash outs in the trails. I have a Lock n Roll coupler it seems to work fine for me. I put shocks on my trailer which seems to slow down the articulation of the leaf spring\axle movement on the trailer making the ride IMO much smoother. I also installed longer leaf springs 28" smooth ride leafs, longer springs give a better ride absorb bumps better by allowing more motion. You will have some state adjust the pressure in the tires will do the same. I run 40psi on my trailer at "all" times 235x75Rx15 General Grabbers ATX that are mounted on my trailer. Over all my suggestion is "slow & easy" our adventure should be enjoyable & our travels to remote destinations the journey is our primary goal at the same time enjoying the sights of our travels to our destination.
010.JPG

NW_Traveler

Rank 0

Contributor I

Seattle, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Coldiron
Thanks for the tips! That creek crossing looks fun. I'm planning to get my rig out for the first time this weekend. For the PSI, is 40 your stated PSI on your trailer tires, or did you reduce it? I'm assuming that is your standard PSI.

Reactions: RoarinRow

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I normally drop my trailer tire pressure to around 15 on dirt roads and trails. Watching it in the mirror, it make's a big difference. Good shocks are a must if you don't have them on your trailer.
Coming down off ledges, large rocks and drop offs, I control the trailer manually with my trailer brake. Coming down steep loose hills, I've had the trailer try to jack knife me. Move the brake control a bit to keep it straight.
I had originally built my trailer with harder trails in mind behind my Jeep. Its seen Rubicon, Dusy and others like it. Now I drag it behind the Cruiser on mostly dirt roads and dry wash's. I still keep the controller in easy reach just in case.

Edit: as for your max coupler, keep it. When I made my 3 axis hitch, I never wanted to go back to a pintel or ball mount.