Downloading maps for Gaia, How long does it take?

• HTML tutorial

tonyl11

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

depends on connection and device but I did the whole state of NH and multiple overlays. Took hours, I mean hours to download on my iphone. On my tablet, It didn't need the screen on, but it still timed out (Or I shut it off by accident) and ended up taking a few days since, I would forget about the download.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have found that the USGS Topo layer has an extreme amount of "Tiles" and takes tons of time to download, I switched to Gaia's own topo layer, and now i can download large areas very quickly. I usually also include the forest service road, and public lands layers and they do not seem to increase the download size by much.

Reactions: terryg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Gaia app has to be running. You can't have it running in the background. Gaia Topo are very efficient file size. All others simply depend on if they are tile based or vector based. Satellite will be the longest downloads.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

In my experience, it takes quite a long time - several hours. I have gotten in the habit of starting map downloads in the evening and letting them download overnight. The tablet can be locked, but the Gaia app will need to be open and in focus.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I am downloading a bunch of mapping for gaia. how long does it usually take? does it have to be active and screen on to do it?
It depends on which maps and how many tiles. Some of the maps are *really* big. You can signficantly speed up the process by defining an area and downloading only your preferred base map over that, then defining your route and downloading the tiles for your preferred overlays for the route. This gives you full coverage on the route, with basemap off-route, keeping the total number of tiles to a minimum.

If someone knows a better way, I'd love to hear it!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Mine always downloads in the background but I did find out on my tablet I had to turn off the metered connection setting.