Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I was considering a Dometic CFX3 55IM. However, looking at the instruction manual it states not to cut the 12v plug off as it’s fused. I’ve wired a direct 12v line to my reserve battery via a fuse panel and fitted an Anderson plug in the rear of the rig. I want to use this system. Has anyone cut the plug from the new Dometic’s and used an Anderson. I’m guessing it would void the warranty. I might just go with another supplier.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Is the power cable hard wired? Did you provide the same rated fuse protection that the factory plug provided?

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Is the power cable hard wired? Did you provide the same rated fuse protection that the factory plug provided?
I installed a Blue Sea fuse hub so I can fit any blade fuse I want. It’s ran direct to the battery which has a breaker close to terminal. The Anderson plug runs direct from rear to the fuse panel. I’m guessing if I match the fuse in the dometic plug it would be fine. I haven’t purchased the fridge yet just doing research. Just found it odd they have a fused plug and tell you not to cut it off.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Why not pigtail it? It would add 6” of wire and plugs. You wouldn’t void the warranty. I understand it would not as clean looking.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have been looking at possibly doing the same with my Dometic fridge as I don't like the cigarette plug and have been having issues with it on rough terrain. Inside the Dometic plug is a standard 10A fuse which you can change out by unscrewing the top. You can also unscrew the bottom portion of the plug which exposes an Engel style two-blade prong with a threaded and locking cover. ARB also uses this system and sells a socket for this type of plug.

Many people use this method for securing their Dometic power outlets as it has the same common Engel style plug within that lighter plug.

You can also simply cut the cord and wire up your own Anderson plug while putting a 10A fuse in line as well. Dometic and others sell the same cable separate so you can operate on one of those and leave your original one intact if you ever need to go back to the standard plug or send the unit back for warranty work.

Reactions: SNO-RNR

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I installed a Blue Sea fuse hub so I can fit any blade fuse I want. It’s ran direct to the battery which has a breaker close to terminal. The Anderson plug runs direct from rear to the fuse panel. I’m guessing if I match the fuse in the dometic plug it would be fine. I haven’t purchased the fridge yet just doing research. Just found it odd they have a fused plug and tell you not to cut it off.
Odd. My Edgestar doesn't have fused power cords.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was considering a Dometic CFX3 55IM. However, looking at the instruction manual it states not to cut the 12v plug off as it’s fused. I’ve wired a direct 12v line to my reserve battery via a fuse panel and fitted an Anderson plug in the rear of the rig. I want to use this system. Has anyone cut the plug from the new Dometic’s and used an Anderson. I’m guessing it would void the warranty. I might just go with another supplier.
If you cut the cord you will void the warranty... however if you make an adapter as stated you won’t void the warranty... I went with a Wynter 65 because it is both 110 and 12volt, and came with a 12v pigtail to hardwire into a system as well as a power socket plug as well.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have used SAE plugs for over 8 years with a variety of fridges. No issue. The easiest method is to buy the ARB "secure" plug and unscrew the end. There are two blade connections. Match the other end and put whatever you want on the end of that. Very easy to do. Connected to a BlueSea fuse block.