Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Hello, everyone. I am really curious: how often do people use bridging ladders for actual bridging?

Also, I suppose I would consider jacking-and-packing a stuck or otherwose high-centered vehicle a valid form of "bridging" if the wheel is lifted and a bridge is placed under it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

No fans of Crux or Mantec ladders for uses besides sand recoveries or camp tables?

Manscout

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Carmel & Silicon Valleys
Member #

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

From what I can tell, bridging ladders are just not very mainstream in the states. Most of the responses I got when I asked on another forum were 100% opinion based, and mostly negative. That is, negative opinions that I was being a silly poser for asking about them, not negative opinions about whether or not they could be useful.

The few folks who had actual experience with them found them reasonably useful on occasion for smoothing the transition across washouts in roads, getting up and up/down larger stepped obstacles, or as a platform to rest a wheel on if you have to lift it out of a rut or hole after the frame gets high-centered.

I still might make some at some point.

Big110

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portland, Maine
Member #

From what I can tell, bridging ladders are just not very mainstream in the states.
That is really true. They are big overseas. Not so much here. BUT I do think that you can be relatively successful with a recovery product such as a MaxTrax where doubled up, they can be used for bridging. They are not as long as some bridge ladders you may see oversees- but for a dual use I think they are a great solution that is priced very fair. My only recommendation is to stay away from Chinese rip off's.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The few folks who had actual experience with them found them reasonably useful on occasion for smoothing the transition across washouts in roads, getting up and up/down larger stepped obstacles, or as a platform to rest a wheel on if you have to lift it out of a rut or hole after the frame gets high-centered.
Just to clarify, a couple folks said it would be better to stack up a bunch of rocks or logs, or use a shovel to dig out / smooth whatever transition one couldn't traverse. Though, I feel like it would take a lot of rocks (literally a pile, rather than a stack), before I would trust the weight of my vehicle on it. Plus, doing either of those options permanently changes the trail for everyone else.

Also, to I don't think Id ever be willing to buy two pairs of MaxTtax for $700 so I could have enough to bridge both sides over / up a small gap or step.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Just to clarify, a couple folks said it would be better to stack up a bunch of rocks or logs, or use a shovel to dig out / smooth whatever transition one couldn't traverse. Though, I feel like it would take a lot of rocks (literally a pile, rather than a stack), before I would trust the weight of my vehicle on it. Plus, doing either of those options permanently changes the trail for everyone else.

Also, to I don't think Id ever be willing to buy two pairs of MaxTtax for $700 so I could have enough to bridge both sides over / up a small gap or step.
I agree that rock stacking and transition smoothing would enable you to get past an obstacle without bridging ladders. However like you mentioned, it changes the trail and makes it less challenging for people following.

If we truly believe in 'Treading Lightly" then I would think that bridging ladders (and other traction aids) would be the way to go.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I agree that rock stacking and transition smoothing would enable you to get past an obstacle without bridging ladders. However like you mentioned, it changes the trail and makes it less challenging for people following.

If we truly believe in 'Treading Lightly" then I would think that bridging ladders (and other traction aids) would be the way to go.
Yes, yes, yes! No shame in rock stacking, but fer gawds sake remove them so the rest of us can enjoy the challenge. Trails are starting to seem like cobblestone roads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk