Does any company make a TRUE satellite based AM FM Stereo/GPS system (not cell tower based satellite but actual SATELLITE based)?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor II

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
BILLY
Last Name
AKIN
Greetings ALL.... First timer here. We own several overland rigs all built here at our fab shop in Tucker Ga. We are getting ready to put a new one out on the road. Its a fully customized 2004 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab with a ton of bells and whistles... We have upgraded the factory stereo system with all new Polk Audio speakers, small Kicker subwoofer recessed into the floor under the drivers seat, a small 5 channel amplifier. The only thing we are lacking now is a head unit. We have been searching (unsuccessfully) for an AM/FM stereo with built in GPS but we do NOT want cell tower based GPS. We are hoping that some company makes an ACTUAL Satellite based GPS head unit. Meaning a unit that is not dependent on cell tower signal but instead relies on a TRUE SATELLITE signal for its GPS function. Does anyone know if this particular unicorn exists?? Thanks!!!

Red Ox Overland

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Olympic mtns, WA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Modispacher
Member #

I looked into this a couple of years ago when I built a Land Rover discovery with a Mercedes Diesel engine. What I ran into is that no one (inside the U.S) make a legitimate satellite navigation GPS head unit. You can contact Garmin and see if they have made anything recently(usually for RVs). When I asked them years ago they said they were working on something that closely resembles it. Hope you find what you’re looking for!

Reactions: Vickycc_3ef47a

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm confused. I had an android based head unit that used true GPS for navigation, and the OE head unit in my 2013 Frontier also uses satellite GPS for navigation. Is that not what you're looking for? Or are you referring to something like Sirius xm for satellite radio?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Greetings ALL.... First timer here. We own several overland rigs all built here at our fab shop in Tucker Ga. We are getting ready to put a new one out on the road. Its a fully customized 2004 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab with a ton of bells and whistles... We have upgraded the factory stereo system with all new Polk Audio speakers, small Kicker subwoofer recessed into the floor under the drivers seat, a small 5 channel amplifier. The only thing we are lacking now is a head unit. We have been searching (unsuccessfully) for an AM/FM stereo with built in GPS but we do NOT want cell tower based GPS. We are hoping that some company makes an ACTUAL Satellite based GPS head unit. Meaning a unit that is not dependent on cell tower signal but instead relies on a TRUE SATELLITE signal for its GPS function. Does anyone know if this particular unicorn exists?? Thanks!!!
How did you determine they use cell phone towers. I pulled this from Kenwood and they use Garmin which is satellite.
Zim
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dnx775rvs/

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Joying makes an android based head unit that has an external SAT GPS Antenna. However I don’t know if it’s AM or not.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sirius XM is your best bet. Either way you’ll have to pay for it. Pretty sure satellites in the GPS system are not broadcasting AM/FM digital to any head unit. Or you can wait for the METAVERSE!!! Lol
He’s not wanting AM/FM radio via satellite… he wants a Navigation System built into the head unit that doesn’t rely on cell towers. Sirus/XM sat radio is not a nav system.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Sirius XM is your best bet. Either way you’ll have to pay for it. Pretty sure satellites in the GPS system are not broadcasting AM/FM digital to any head unit. Or you can wait for the METAVERSE!!! Lol
He’s not wanting AM/FM radio via satellite… he wants a Navigation System built into the head unit that doesn’t rely on cell towers. Sirus/XM sat radio is not a nav system.
Lol! My bad, gotcha. Hahaha, had to RE-read that. FML

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I didn't read all the comments, so forgive me if I repeat.

Kenwood uses the Garmin gps system.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I pulled this from Kenwood and they use Garmin which is satellite.
Just to back up what was said here. It took some digging but I found this in Crutchfeld.
  • GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
My concern was not if it was actually sat based but if they stuck the antenna inside the unit.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Just to back up what was said here. It took some digging but I found this in Crutchfeld.
  • GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
My concern was not if it was actually sat based but if they stuck the antenna inside the unit.
No I had to run a antenna but can't remember where I put it. LOL. I"ve had a thousand naps since 2016..LOL
Zim

Reactions: smritte

shrdt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Spfd Oredgon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hardt
I know this is an older thread but I believe both Kenwood and Pioneer have AM/FM/Nav systems. These are more for street navigation and not off road. I use a tablet for navigations in my Frontier. There are apps available that will allow for off-line navigation such as Sygic or Gia that allows you to download the areas you will be in where service is not available.

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
Plenty of the android based head units use real GPS data for navigation, i have a 7" Eonon head unit with external GPS antenna that works well.
2nd screen is connected to the output of the head unit and has 2 inputs so i have a front mounted camera as well, it will run any compatible android navigation app.

IMG_20210819_152302.jpgIMG_20210819_152316.jpg

Contributor III

First Name
Vickycc
Last Name
Chen
I know this is an older thread but I believe both Kenwood and Pioneer have AM/FM/Nav systems. These are more for street navigation and not off road. I use a tablet for navigations in my Frontier. There are apps available that will allow for off-line navigation such as Sygic or Gia that allows you to download the areas you will be in where service is not available.
Okay, thanks for the recommendation my friend! I'll look into it.