Do you take time to leave it better than you found it?

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I am about to order a Trasharoo for this purpose. It is heartbreaking to see how much trash is left on the side of the trails we drive.
I thought they were overpriced when I ordered mine, but it has held up to some stupid stuff and been worth every penny.

Faneius

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milwaukie, Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Furian
Member #

We are always picking up extra trash as we explore. The roll of black trash bags resides in my back passenger side hatch compartment.
Handy tip when coming back down out of the forest service roads if you pass a campground pull in and talk to the camp host. 9 out of 10 times they will let you drop that bag trash in the camps dumpster.

Sent from my 6045O using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kent R and Stone74

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We have also found that some of the FS Rec people who are in the field will take your trash or tell you a location to get rid of it.

Reactions: Faneius and Stone74

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Ever since our group adopted a trail in the El Dorado National Forest we have made it a point to bring our Trasharoo's with us on every trail run just so we can bring what we find out.
Adopting a trail is a great idea! I will Definitely bring that up at our beer meet and greet. We are going to do clean up runs for day trips and stop and cook/eat/visit along the way. But an actual adoption of a trail is a perfect idea.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Adopting a trail is a great idea! I will Definitely bring that up at our beer meet and greet. We are going to do clean up runs for day trips and stop and cook/eat/visit along the way. But an actual adoption of a trail is a perfect idea.
Adopting a trail is fairly easy to do and if you need any help just PM me.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Yea, we bring out more trash than we generate when we leave our campsites and we leave them pristine.

BUT we are seeing many many campsites that are left free of trash. We as a nation (US) have come a long way, look at photos of our roads in the '50s, they were strewn with trash.
No more.

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

CagedLife

Rank 0

Traveler I

India
We consciously bundled the trash left out by the other campers this New Year weekend into a cardboard box and handed over to the camp site owners. Hoping that they have disposed it responsibly.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
In the last week the wife and I have been over just a small portion of the Ozark National Forest and I have found that there is so much trash everywhere! I have filled up my trasharoo about 3X this week, maybe more. From beer cans to dirty diapers to socks and shoes...its crazy. From deer hunters to moms it seems there are so many people out there who do not care about trashing up our beautiful earth.
View attachment 40845
Does it matter to you to take a little time to leave it better than you found it? Do you pack latex gloves or some other protection in your rig for this? I have not up to this point but probably will from now on.

Show your pics of taking care of our earth that we are blessed to have!
I always hike with a grocery bag and commit to filling it before I leave. Something my Dad ingrained in me growing up. We would always leave our campsite better than we found it!

- Tyler

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

In the last week the wife and I have been over just a small portion of the Ozark National Forest and I have found that there is so much trash everywhere! I have filled up my trasharoo about 3X this week, maybe more. From beer cans to dirty diapers to socks and shoes...its crazy. From deer hunters to moms it seems there are so many people out there who do not care about trashing up our beautiful earth.
View attachment 40845
Does it matter to you to take a little time to leave it better than you found it? Do you pack latex gloves or some other protection in your rig for this? I have not up to this point but probably will from now on.

Show your pics of taking care of our earth that we are blessed to have!
Before moving to north idaho we lived in northern lower Michigan. We were members of a club called Cadillac Jeepers in Mesick, Michigan. Twice (or more) a year we did road side cleanups along highway 37. There was a 4 mile adopt a highway we had.
If your in the area (people drive up from Florida, east coast, West coast ) try to make it to their annual "Blessing of the jeeps " There's a great course from stock to better be big type course. Thousands of miles of national forest roads to be explored and 2 good private off road parks nearby.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

ABSOLUTELY, every Sunday weather permitting I go clean the Ozarks and eat a ribeye at Byrds. That's the only way were going to be able to keep our trails open. I talked to a very good friend of mine who is the wildlife officer for our area he's going to start sending me coordinates of the bad spots in the spring if you're in!

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I keep multiple bags in my truck bed for things like this.....multiple sizes and even some contractor bags. You'd be amazed how much you can fill a trash bag just by walking around in a 30 foot radius of a camp site and a bike trail.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Last weekend the wife and I did our first ever dedicated Trash Run in the Ouachita NF. It was really awesome. We were able to do about 16 miles of Forest Road. It was pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. We really made a fun day of it. We plan to do these about once per month.

Dedicated Trash Runs

View attachment 45770View attachment 45771
That is dedication, especially if this was you and not a group(photo). I always pickup extra trash i find, but i don't let it become the overriding reason to clean, unless it is a group effort or just some friends. THE SAYING "LEAVING IT BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT", is a good philosophy to follow. I have never understood why people would trash a area they are trying to get to. Pack it in, pack it out is such a easy 'creed' to live by!