minnjarhead

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Carlson
Hello everyone. This is my first post after lurking here a while. My wife and I are not new to camping having owned a 5th wheel and tenting over the years. However we are now at a stage of our lives where our kids are out of the house and we’re “on our own to explore” again. Anyway, we have been throwing around the idea of doing more exploring off the beaten path and that means a camping rig able to handle more out of the way places. We’re not talking crazy off road adventures, but if we want to go down a narrow dirt road, we want the option.

We currently have a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I know it’s not the best of the off road vehicles, but it is what we have. My wife is currently drooling every time we see 4Runner on the road and that will be our next rig, but for now, this is what we have and what we’ll be using.

My plan is as follows and if there are any holes in this, please point them out before I go down this path too far. We need a utility trailer for occasional use. I have a small trailer now, but are looking at purchasing a 5x10 version (15” wheels, @ #2000 overall GVWR). Looking for a good used one if I stumble across a deal otherwise new may be in the cards.

My question is. Has anyone built a “modular/removable” self-contained camper that would slide onto this trailer? I have plans in my mind of a DIY 5x8 enclosure similar to pre-made overland trailers for sale from the various manufacturers like Hiker Trailer. It would slide onto the 5x10 trailer deck like a truck camper and then attach via bolts to the trailer for use as an “overland” trailer. Then, during times when I just need the utility, I just remove the enclosure and use the trailer as original. I know I’m leaving out a lot of details, but this is just a concept in my head.

Has anyone done this? Is it feasible? How about the legalities of having an RV enclosure mounted on a utility trailer? Insurance issues?

As much as I’d love to drop $7,500 to $15,000 on a true overland trailer, finances don’t allow for it. Plus the dual utility of the trailer is valuable to me.

Thanks in advance for all the responses and advice – for or against.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have been thinking of doing something similar with my 8x14 trailer. As long as the unit is a slide in, and temporary, I don’t see why it would be registered as an RV. After all it’s just a load out of camping gear. Does adding a rtt to your rig turn your rig into an RV, even if you are completely self contained. Nope, so why would a trailer be any different.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

There will be laws regarding this. I can't speak to Minnesota, but in Washington you would not need an RV title because the trailer is not primarily intended to be a camper unless it is bolted down. If straps are used to secure it the shelter is considered temporary.

According to RCW 46.70.011, a recreational vehicle is a travel trailer, motor home, truck camper, or
camping trailer that is primarily designed and used as temporary living quarters, is either self-propelled
or mounted on or drawn by another vehicle, is transient, is not occupied as a primary residence, and is
not immobilized or permanently affixed to a mobile home lot.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

There will be laws regarding this. I can't speak to Minnesota, but in Washington you would not need an RV title because the trailer is not primarily intended to be a camper unless it is bolted down. If straps are used to secure it the shelter is considered temporary.

According to RCW 46.70.011, a recreational vehicle is a travel trailer, motor home, truck camper, or
camping trailer that is primarily designed and used as temporary living quarters, is either self-propelled
or mounted on or drawn by another vehicle, is transient, is not occupied as a primary residence, and is
not immobilized or permanently affixed to a mobile home lot.
Just call it a fish house, scribble your DNR # on it and call it done...

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Vintage-camper-from-the-1960s-or-1970s.jpg

Your post made me think of setups like this that I've seen over the years.
Not sure of the actual laws, but I think once a trailer is registered as a trailer, you can carry whatever you like in it.

Reactions: Mojavewanderer

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Also, in MN, once it's registered as a pull behind camper, it will need yearly registration, where if it's just a utility trailer, you can just keep the lifetime tag and no plates.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
WAYAWAY hit what I would have posted. Something like an 8 foot truck bed and a camper. The down side is the foot print. Your going to lose some room because it's designed to fit between the fenders. If you go with just a shell on top, you will want to insulate the bed if its cold out. Im my younger years camping, I used a shell on my truck bed for wet weather. Nice thing was, I could take it off and use it as a truck. Your wanting the same thing for a trailer. Shouldn't be too hard to find a nice hardly used small camper for sale cheap.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

minnjarhead

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Carlson
Reactions: Prerunner1982

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Take a look at my build thread. Maybe you can get some ideas. I am happy to help if you have any tech questions.