Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I've thought about a DIY roof rack for a little while. I know that FrontRunner sells just the mounting brackets for their rack, and I wondered if I should use their mount brackets but my own t-track to save a ton of money.
Looking forward to pics of your progress and hearing other tips.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I've thought about a DIY roof rack for a little while. I know that FrontRunner sells just the mounting brackets for their rack, and I wondered if I should use their mount brackets but my own t-track to save a ton of money.
Looking forward to pics of your progress and hearing other tips.
Well I have design all CAD done and priced it out. It’s not going to be cost effective

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Well I have design all CAD done and priced it out. It’s not going to be cost effective
Oh? FrontRunner roof rack is one of the most expensive out there. You don't think you will come in cheaper? Where are you getting your t-track? For how much?

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Oh? FrontRunner roof rack is one of the most expensive out there. You don't think you will come in cheaper? Where are you getting your t-track? For how much?
I was getting the price from 8020.net which came out to 1600 usd. CDN would be well over 2k not including shipping.

I have found another solution for $700 CDN and it will be 55”x 80” and good for 500lbs

Last edited:
Reactions: geekyadam

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Not sure why, but I can't see any of your photo attachments. Regardless, check your area for metal scrap yards. I'm always amazed at the types of resources available when I visit the one near me. Here's some photos of a platform I made for my jeep from aluminum pieces I got for under $15. I capped the ends recently, but haven't taken a photo. This works great, and while not quite as slick the frontrunner I've been pretty happy.

AKH313

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alberta
Ok Look Fozz Im curently building my roofrack look a like
The SSO. Because lead time was to long and price was to high. Im in Canada and its hard to find good roofrack. So yeah i order the extruded aluminum online and made the side spine rail cut at the metal shop. Its a lot of work drilling the hole and measuring and making a template but in my case it worth it. I use 3/8 steel for the side spine so I know its solid. Good luck

Reactions: Fozzy325

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

I was going to build a Tnutz rack but it was going to be almost as expensive as a front runner rack. I am instead building my own rack out of an ATV ramp that you would use for loading a pickup truck with smittybilt gutter mounts. With the extra aluminum I’ll need and paint I’ll have a lo-pro front runner style rack for under $400 all in. I’ll be posting the build here soon

Griffin Hooper

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando,FL
First Name
Griffin
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

This is great, is this aluminium?
It is not, I sadly do not have the skill to weld aluminum (learned how to garage weld for this) it can however be bolted together and I have that parts list also. I just wanted to learn a skill (planning to learn via school eventually) #3kids and a full time day job.

The difference in steel vs aluminum for me was 25lbs of weight. I can certainly live with that... V2 will be aluminum though.

Fun fact the 4th Gen 4Runner does not have a square roof...

AKH313

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alberta
It is not, I sadly do not have the skill to weld aluminum (learned how to garage weld for this) it can however be bolted together and I have that parts list also. I just wanted to learn a skill (planning to learn via school eventually) #3kids and a full time day job.

The difference in steel vs aluminum for me was 25lbs of weight. I can certainly live with that... V2 will be aluminum though.

The 5th is the same the roof is wider at the front and it make it more difficult to build haha

bladerunnerkc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Kansas City, KS, USA
Member #

I was going to build a Tnutz rack but it was going to be almost as expensive as a front runner rack. I am instead building my own rack out of an ATV ramp that you would use for loading a pickup truck with smittybilt gutter mounts. With the extra aluminum I’ll need and paint I’ll have a lo-pro front runner style rack for under $400 all in. I’ll be posting the build here soon
I am building a shop vac / cyclone cart out of 80/20 in the 1.5 inch series. It's 20 x 20 x 70 tall. It was really going to be expensive. Real expensive. I did find on eBay that 80/20 has a store that discounts some items and there are several vendors there that sell used 80/20. I have bought some parts as cheap as a couple of bucks for a 4 foot long piece of 1.5. There's also great deals on the accessories. I paid 80 bucks for a few pounds of the nuts and bolts. I have bags of nuts and bolts and some brackets now. Some had to be cleaned up but so what. Also, I bought a mill http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Mill-Drill/G0758 so I could mill out the holes for connecting the parts. It's about 4 or 5 bucks for each milling action if you buy it from 80/20 pre cut. That mill is replacing my drill press anyway.
I have the cost of my cart down to about half of what it would cost going through their main 80/20 website.
My next project is a drawer mount for the back of my suburban in their 1 inch material.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I like this. I’m thinking of copying this idea doubling up and built it up to give support rails.
What is the total weight of this one?
Is it a p1000?

Last edited:

Griffin Hooper

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando,FL
First Name
Griffin
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

I like this. I’m thinking of copying this idea doubling up and built it up to give support rails.
What is the total weight of this one?
Is it a p1000?
It is FS-200SL for the surround and FS-500SL for the cross bars. Grainger had the best price and you can pick it up on eBay with very minimal shipping if you don't live near a store.

Reactions: Fozzy325

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Reactions: tundraconvert

bladerunnerkc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Kansas City, KS, USA
Member #

That's a great thread!
I already have 4 load bars from FrontRunner. If I add 2 more, I can connect them on the sides as it shows here and I will be set.
Had I known about 80/20 when I was setting up my roof. I would have went that way with black anodized and would black powdercoat any parts I made. I have built a few things now with 80/20 and it's great to work with. I did get a vertical mill to make all the mounting holes and a chop saw with an aluminum cutting carbide blade. Those cuts don't require any cleanup.

Reactions: Boort