DIY stealth rack

• HTML tutorial

Mgc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

So I recently purchased 2015 4runner trail edition and want to add a rack. I’d love to be able to afford a gobi or Baja rack. But at the moment funds are limited. I’ve been mulling over the idea of modifying a pull out metal trundle frame as the base for the project.

Would welcome any feedback/ thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jerry Lachenbruch

Mgc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

I think it's brillant!!!
Thanks .... the next part is to fab and weld some brackets to the base so that I can mount it in place of the factory rails. Next weld a support beam down the middle. I am thinking this could support up to 300lbs. Should be enough to pack light gear.

As time permits I’ll be posting up more detailed plans.

S

SubeeBen

Awesome idea & good research. Where did you purchase & approx. how much $ thanks for the post. Never Mind Amazon $89

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

How much of a budget are you working with? And how handy are you? I built a all aluminum rack for my 80 out of t slot extrusions and C channel. About 500 in materials and hardware and mounting feet for my gutter rails. Plenty strong to hold my RTT and Awning!!
20171207_202638.jpg
20180418_135519.jpg
I got the 2x1.5 inch c channel locally, and ordered the crossbars at www.tnutz.com. I got 51 inch wide bars, 9 of them, which is alot. Maybe you dont need that many. SS hardware and drilled some holes after measuring!

Traveler I

So I recently purchased 2015 4runner trail edition and want to add a rack. I’d love to be able to afford a gobi or Baja rack. But at the moment funds are limited. I’ve been mulling over the idea of modifying a pull out metal trundle frame as the base for the project.

Would welcome any feedback/ thoughts.

That is an excellent idea!!!