DIY Roof Top Tent Brackets

• HTML tutorial

ndmendenhall

Rank 0

Contributor I

We love almost everything about our generic RTT, but one of the features that has bothered me since day one is the flat steel mounting bracket. They are functional, but I've always thought there had to be a better option for my round roof rack top rails. This weekend, I picked up a stack of 1" tube clamps and 1/8x1.25" tabs from Ballistic Fabrication at a local shop (SDHQ) and built a more suitable solution. This was a 45min project that anybody with a welder could handle, but I talked to the guys at Ballistic Fab and they said they could also weld these tabs for customers for a small fee.
Happy Trails! [emoji41][emoji111]️

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

SubeeBen

Awesome post. I have been looking @ rtt’s for a while & have as well noticed the same CHEESEY mounts. These look very nice & solid especially when your actually using you rig out on the trails.where is this shop located . Again nice looking mounts $ thanks for the post.

Reactions: ndmendenhall

ToyotaGirl76

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
Solid mounts! I thought the same thing on the mounts with tube racks...I was thinking of getting these from McMaster, I like the rubber insert to help cushion them.IMG_2077.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ndmendenhall

Rank 0

Contributor I

I like this idea, but the pressure point in the bracket will be between the split in that bushing and the roof rack rail...it might force it apart and lead to rattling.
Solid mounts! I thought the same thing on the mounts with tube racks...I was thinking of getting these from McMaster, I like the rubber insert to help cushion them.View attachment 62601

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

We love almost everything about our generic RTT, but one of the features that has bothered me since day one is the flat steel mounting bracket. They are functional, but I've always thought there had to be a better option for my round roof rack top rails. This weekend, I picked up a stack of 1" tube clamps and 1/8x1.25" tabs from Ballistic Fabrication at a local shop (SDHQ) and built a more suitable solution. This was a 45min project that anybody with a welder could handle, but I talked to the guys at Ballistic Fab and they said they could also weld these tabs for customers for a small fee.
Happy Trails! [emoji41][emoji111]️

Good one! Keep it up!

Overland Ram 1500

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Surrey, British Columbia
Member #

Solid mounts! I thought the same thing on the mounts with tube racks...I was thinking of getting these from McMaster, I like the rubber insert to help cushion them.View attachment 62601

We have used these Omega clamps for many years as my wife used to sell them. The best part is you can order in almost any tube or pipe diameters and they have never loosed using ny-lock nuts and have never rattled. The thermal plastic isolator also protects the finish of your truck rack.

Reactions: ToyotaGirl76

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I just use standard Yakima round bar clamps. I built my rack with 1.125” tubing so all Yakima stuff would be compatible. The bolts can however be challenging to line up solo.

6FF68AA4-1203-45E0-A6AC-EEF78DFECC6D.jpeg

Reactions: ToyotaGirl76

explorer0863

Rank I

Contributor III

I just use standard Yakima round bar clamps. I built my rack with 1.125” tubing so all Yakima stuff would be compatible. The bolts can however be challenging to line up solo.
I know this is old, but just in case you are monitoring this posting, I have a question. I am looking for options to mount my RTT on my Yakima system with round bars. It never occurred to me to use the round bar clamps. If I understand what you did correctly, you only have one bolt on each corner? Do you know the rating of those clamps? My RTT is a Tepui Gran Savannah and the weight is about 150 pounds. If you have any pics, it would be great and appreciated. Thanks!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I just sold my tent last week but it was a Ruggedized autana. Near 200lbs. It was up there for 3 years never moved, wheeled HARD. No idea on the Yakima rating but I wound not hesitate to do it again. And yes 4 bolts total.

Reactions: explorer0863