• HTML tutorial

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

Initial review of the Discobed XL portable bunk bundle from costco

I first saw these a couple years ago at cabelas and liked the design but not the price. ($400 base) At the time I wasnt really looking for cots and didnt realize the value. During our trip to costco last week I had to peruse the camping section of course and found these at an amazing price. This set comes with some accessories that you normally have to order separately. This is the XL which gives you a few more inches in both directions. It is rated for 500 pounds, PER COT. This set ordered from their website runs $410 plus shipping. Searching online from other suppliers didnt reveal much better prices. Costco had them on sale for $250 which included both cots, the side pouches, leg extensions and oversized rubber feet. (everything but the cots are add on accessories everywhere else)

An initial concern was the weight. These things are quite heavy but for good reason. They are heavy duty. Each cot came in it's own quality bag with the corresponding parts to complete it. The accessories were split between the bags. If you only want one cot, you only need the one bag. All the metal pieces were secured either by velcro straps or elastic bands. The assembly was straight forward but there were instructions included (didnt need them). These went together easily without any need for tools and in only a few minutes despite being my first time assembling them.

When the first one was done I climbed on and was surprised how sturdy it was. I finished the second one and stacked it on top. I reluctantly climbed on top of that one. I am 6' 4" and over 300 pounds. Despite the 500 pound rating per cot, I was still nervous. I had plenty of room at my feet and head as well as room to roll over. It moves some from end to end during movements but it never felt insecure. This test was plenty for me as I bought these primarily for my young kids (4, and 7, 2 year old will be in RTT) and of course will have them for any other needs. They can be used independently or stacked and the feet that were included will be perfect for the tent floor. As an added bonus, they can be set up as a makeshift couch, as seen in the one picture.

I wanted to let the kids sleep on them over the weekend to see how they handled it before we actually went on a trip and they did very well. So well, they wont let me take them down. They have been in them every night for a week and a half now. [emoji23] I do have a blow-up sleeping pad for each of them which fit the cots nicely, also from Costco.

My plan for these are to set them up in the annex under the ladder. There should be plenty of room based on measurements. The dimensions can be seen in the pictures. These are available in different colors but the ones from costco were all black. The oversized rubber feet are perfect for the annex floor.

I will do an update after they get some heavier use.

If you are looking for cots, check these out. I cannot speak to them being in every costco location. I looked online and found the same bundle plus what looks like a roller bag for them at $350. Still a deal if you ask me. They also offer a storage cabinet that hangs on the end for clothes, shoes and the like but I do not have that. Link below for the bundle online with the roller bag.

Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.costco.com/Disc-O-Bed-Cam-O-Bunk-XL-Bundle.product.100483609.html

Screenshot_20190331-205440_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20190331-205456_Chrome.jpeg20190322_212142.jpeg20190322_211948.jpeg

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

First 2 pictures are from costco's website that is linked. The second pic contains the roller bag in the bottom right picture. Everything else is what came with the $250 bundle I picked up in store.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

We bought a set of these for the kids to use when we camp, but have gone a different route due to the weight. They are definitely heavy duty and a very nice product but the weight is just too much to carry around in the rig for us.

Reactions: BLACK_BETTY

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

We bought a set of these for the kids to use when we camp, but have gone a different route due to the weight. They are definitely heavy duty and a very nice product but the weight is just too much to carry around in the rig for us.
They are certainly heavy and wont work for everyone but I am able to justify them in multiple ways. We are in a full size truck so room isnt an issue and mileage already sucks. [emoji23] In the case one of the kids gets scared, I can lay with them. It will support our dog who likes to lay at our feet. I can also use them for sleepovers at the house as well as take them to the family cabin when we have more people than beds.

What did you switch to if you dont mind me asking?

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

They are certainly heavy and wont work for everyone but I am able to justify them in multiple ways. We are in a full size truck so room isnt an issue and mileage already sucks. [emoji23] In the case one of the kids gets scared, I can lay with them. It will support our dog who likes to lay at our feet. I can also use them for sleepovers at the house as well as take them to the family cabin when we have more people than beds.

What did you switch to if you dont mind me asking?
We went to a couple fold up cots. The kids sleep on them and seem to like them. We are taking the disco bunks to our place in Colorado for the same reason, when we have more company than beds. They are a great product, just too heavy to carry in a Jeep.

Reactions: BLACK_BETTY