Dirty (Camp) Sites - share your findings

• HTML tutorial

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

I'm sure nobody really wants to see this, but it may be the best way to raise awareness of #TreadLightly and to pack out what you've packed in. Let's see what you've found for dirty camp sites, and what you did to make it better. I'd personally like to challenge each and everyone here to pack out at least one more thing that you brought out to the trail with you! Share your photos of before as well as after if you can!

Did you know there is an app out there that lets you flag areas with trash that need cleaned up? It is called "Clean the Creek" and you can take a photo of a mess for uploading and mapping. Others can plan what they need for garbage bags/bins/etc., and mark it as done. Seems like a great idea to me as you can plan trail runs/excursions with a group and turn it into a bit of a Trail Guardian type program!

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland USA

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

I've got this new 'favorite' spot along the Fraser River in BC - but it is unfortunately a haven for weekend warriors out quading and tearing up the place. I really wanted a nice clean camp site and although the location was perfect, here was the fire pit. I really don't understand why people think this sh*t will burn and just disappear in the flames. I re-used the firepit "as-is" for the night as I already had a full trash bag from another area of the trail on the way to setup for the night.

dirty fire pit
by e j, on Flickr

Reactions: STHPW05

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Oh the joys of blinding firing shot guns everywhere.

shotgun shell litter
by e j, on Flickr

A recent trail cleanup here in British Columbia netted about 3000 pounds of EMPTY shotgun shells. Can you imagine the amount of lead everywhere? Sadly it's along a lake, so it's slowly poisoning the fish too.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

If you want to see hundreds off dirty campsites all at once go to the oceano dunes after a holiday weekend. Actually after any weekend you’ll see plenty. It’s become so bad that even though I live a few blocks away I haven’t bothered going out there in at least a year. Totally pathetic, yet everyone who uses the place is crying the blues that they want to shut the ohv area down. They want to shut it down because of the dust it creates, but the dump like atmosphere just adds another reason.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
If you want to see hundreds off dirty campsites all at once go to the oceano dunes after a holiday weekend. Actually after any weekend you’ll see plenty. It’s become so bad that even though I live a few blocks away I haven’t bothered going out there in at least a year. Totally pathetic, yet everyone who uses the place is crying the blues that they want to shut the ohv area down. They want to shut it down because of the dust it creates, but the dump like atmosphere just adds another reason.

I was just up there in Pismo this past August and I don't see why people trash such great spots like that...there are not many places that we can drive our vehicles on the beach like that. We stayed on the beach and as always when we camp everyone in the family is required to pick up 10 pieces of trash before we leave...unfortunately we might have to increase that requirement because it doesn't make a dent at some camp sites. I find myself with a handful of crap on my daily walks...I just don't understand people that show such disrespect.

Reactions: TRT87

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I was just up there in Pismo this past August and I don't see why people trash such great spots like that...there are not many places that we can drive our vehicles on the beach like that. We stayed on the beach and as always when we camp everyone in the family is required to pick up 10 pieces of trash before we leave...unfortunately we might have to increase that requirement because it doesn't make a dent at some camp sites. I find myself with a handful of crap on my daily walks...I just don't understand people that show such disrespect.
The impact on the economy (taxes) was always the sticky spot for shutting it down. Grover Beach (really the gateway to the dunes), just allowed the marijuana industry to open up shop with processing, labs, and sales, and is the only town around to do such so the tax money is going to start roaring in. OHV on the beach will just become a thorn in the county’s side and won’t last long IMO. When I was younger we used to take our trucks out there all the time to race up competition hill, drive around and socialize and the camping and tourists were manageable, but now it’s become a zoo. I used to like cruising the beach once in awhile or driving down there to surf fish, but it’s become such a dump I don’t bother.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
The impact on the economy (taxes) was always the sticky spot for shutting it down. Grover Beach (really the gateway to the dunes), just allowed the marijuana industry to open up shop with processing, labs, and sales, and is the only town around to do such so the tax money is going to start roaring in. OHV on the beach will just become a thorn in the county’s side and won’t last long IMO. When I was younger we used to take our trucks out there all the time to race up competition hill, drive around and socialize and the camping and tourists were manageable, but now it’s become a zoo. I used to like cruising the beach once in awhile or driving down there to surf fish, but it’s become such a dump I don’t bother.

I hear ya brother...its just a shame that others can't come enjoy themselves and leave it they way they found it so other can do the same. Its unfortunately the world we live in these days and we will adapt. I will be up there next August and do my part to leave it better than I found it!

Reactions: STHPW05 and 000

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

You just have to love rolling into a beautiful camp spot just to find it has quite literally been used as a "dumping ground" for prior campers. I just don't understand what goes through the minds of some people.

Crap on the trail
by e j, on Flickr

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Sigh. Another beautiful spot full of trash.
On a positive note, it's a quick cleanup for someone with room to load it up.

nature - man's dumping ground
by e j, on Flickr
Man I take those broken canopies home and have made a few good ones from the parts I have collected. Two years ago we were camping at a rather large lake camp ground with a thousand other people during a major wind storm and I must have come home with a dozen broken canopy frames and made 4 perfectly good ones out of them. Don't have the original canopy to go with...no problem...pick up a camo net from the local military surplus store and you are good to go for shade and it doesn't blow over in the wind so easily.

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I have picked up so much trash before and bagged and roped it (canopies) that I couldn't even carry other people's junk out with me for lack of space. I just pile it in an obvious spot next to the forest road hoping someone with a pickup will finish what I started. I do want a truck one day. Being able to do things like that must be really nice.

Reactions: vagabondexpedition

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Who all are hunters here?

Does this count as trail trash or does nature take care of it quickly enough? I just thought it unnecessary to be left pretty much in the middle of the trail. Kind of ruins the idea of camping close by (when you're in bear and cougar country anyway).

is this hunting 'trash'?
by e j, on Flickr

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I bring a trash bag to clean things up when I am out exploring. Not just my trash, but mostly from others. It is my way of helping set the right example to others, and hoping to insure the road I am exploring will be open next time I come back. If everyone did this, there would be no problem. It is worth it to me to pick up trash that was left, just to keep my form of recreation open for me and others. Benz.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I'm sure nobody really wants to see this, but it may be the best way to raise awareness of #TreadLightly and to pack out what you've packed in. Let's see what you've found for dirty camp sites, and what you did to make it better. I'd personally like to challenge each and everyone here to pack out at least one more thing that you brought out to the trail with you! Share your photos of before as well as after if you can!

Did you know there is an app out there that lets you flag areas with trash that need cleaned up? It is called "Clean the Creek" and you can take a photo of a mess for uploading and mapping. Others can plan what they need for garbage bags/bins/etc., and mark it as done. Seems like a great idea to me as you can plan trail runs/excursions with a group and turn it into a bit of a Trail Guardian type program!
Great job Brother!
The only way it's going to get done is if we keep putting the word out!

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Oh the joys of blinding firing shot guns everywhere.

shotgun shell litter
by e j, on Flickr

A recent trail cleanup here in British Columbia netted about 3000 pounds of EMPTY shotgun shells. Can you imagine the amount of lead everywhere? Sadly it's along a lake, so it's slowly poisoning the fish too.
. Imagine the run off of every house roof in the usa were lead has been used