Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I have a diesel in my work van. Little 1.6l 4cyl can move a Mercedes Sprinter van decently carrying a load of flooring equipment. Doesn't feel any weaker than the 5.4l V8 my old Ford Econoline had, whilst getting between 20-30mpg.

If you have the choice; Diesel.

Reactions: Kelly

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I will probably get a diesel. For the sole reason gas (petrol) engines aren't really sold much here in 4x4 vehicles at least i've only seen 1 Landcruiser 120 out there that wasn't a diesel..

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Diesel, but with that said I would not get the mileage I want with a gas powered 3/4 ton truck.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I would choose a diesel because of the reliability and better fuel efficiency. They may run a little weaker on the horsepower side compared to gas burning engines, but that's what turbos and supercharges are for!

Reactions: Meta6981 and Kelly

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
My Xterra is my only gasser.

Ideally, for an overland vehicle, I'd want an older mechanical injection turbo diesel. The new emission systems being able to put you into low power mode due to failures I feel is a liability.

Reactions: stoney126 and Kelly

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I would choose a diesel because of the reliability and better fuel efficiency. They may run a little weaker on the horsepower side compared to gas burning engines, but that's what turbos and supercharges are for!
Look up the you tube video of the 18HP steam tractor out pulling a built 5.9l Cummins in a tug of war.

Torque turns the wheels.

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

True that, but gearing determines speed. You don't see a lot of tractors on the interstate :-)
true - my lr3 is a 2.7 diesel and easily does 100 at cruise, the LR4 could go quicker but to be honest at that speed, I am not comfortable that I can respond quick enough should I need to. Plus of course, anything over 70 is illegal. The twin turbo on the LR4 is awesome so you might want to consider something like that if you come to replace your engine with a diesel. The LR3 is flat when you try and put your foot down when you are already doing 60 or above. In the LR4, due to the twin one at low revs and one at higher, it kicks in nicely and propels you along the motorway. As for torque, the diesel in the LR3 at low range produces 325ft lb or 440NM. A decent amount for off roading or towing.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Diesel was one of the huge factors for me. My jeep is a diesel, i have a meecedes diesel from the 80's, and i want a diesel defender or comprible. My jeep, even though its new with all the junk systems for diesel, is mighty powerful and high fuel economy for a suv.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I have 5 gas vehicles (including 2 motorcycles), and two diesel vehicles (Duramax & Kubota). If I could afford it, I would switch to all diesel. Even my bikes...
IMG_4912.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta6981

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Well Love my 7.3 in my SD- mileage stays in the teens while towing 7k pounds at highway speeds. In my jk I think the 3.6 is decent and longevity of current diesel options has yet to be really measured- Mpgs may be important for as far you can go out, but as far cost per mile the diesel will be better but if you what it costs to buy into the diesel option could but lots of gas

Reactions: Meta6981 and Kelly