Diamondback or Bakflip Tonneau Cover... which is best?

• HTML tutorial

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Good Morning Everyone!

I hope you are having/had a wonderful Christmas morning!

After much internal debate about which route to go to set up the bed of my truck that best suites my needs I landed on just getting a hard bed cover that will be weather resistant and keep things locked inside pretty decently when out and about. I use the bed regularly for carrying a 12.5' fishing kayak and household construction supplies. So I do need to be able to open her up when needed.

Anyways I know a lot of folks have the Diamondback bed cover. It is super adaptable, tough, and pretty much turns the bed into a vault when you lock the tailgate. With the way the weather seals and locking mechanisms are set... it looks like it would not rattle too much when on rough roads either. I like it... except that you cannot easily open the bed to it's full potential. It is a bit more expensive than the other bed cover I have in mind @ $1649 (Delivered)

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackse?variant=28905652553

A few trucks ago I had the first gen of the Bakflip tonneau cover on my old Silverado. I loved that thing. It flipped open in just a few seconds... turning into a headache rack to protect the rear window when opened fully. Locking the rear tailgate... also turned the bed into a locking trunk. Over the years it looks as though they have changed up/modified the seals a bit which is good because the old one was not the best @ keeping out water but was good enough anyways. This system is much cheaper @ $959.88 (Shipped).

https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover/v/chevy/colorado/2018/

Anyways... I am currently heavily leaning towards the Backflip. Both of these tonneau covers are rated to 400lbs. The Backflip does what I need a little better and is about 1/3 cheaper. I do not need to tie anything to the top... which the diamond back would be better @ hands down. I also started out Overlanding on a dualsport. Which means I am used to traveling light. Everything that a family of 4 needs will fit in the cab/bed. No plans to get a RTT either. Though I may get a bed tent... which would work with both of these setups (Beach camping/fishing). With the Bakflip I would be able to still get a ladder rack and put it into the factory bed rail inserts... which would not be covered up by the Bakflip... but would by the Diamondback (I think).

My biggest question is... Are all of those little latch pieces for each section of the Bakflip going to hold up on those long rough roads? I never really did anything serious in my old 2WD long bed Silverado.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you...

ramfreak27

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

Diamondback hands down. Two of my buddies have the backflip one of them is falling apart (leaks at the bulkhead and one of the release mechanisms broke loose from the cover) my other buddy has the CS with the racks and it works pretty good hauled 2 12' kayaks 6 hours to the upper peninsula.

I have the diamondback HD and love it. Keeps my tools dry and secure during the week and toys safe on the weekends.
20181211_084926.jpeg

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Diamondback hands down. Two of my buddies have the backflip one of them is falling apart (leaks at the bulkhead and one of the release mechanisms broke loose from the cover) my other buddy has the CS with the racks and it works pretty good hauled 2 12' kayaks 6 hours to the upper peninsula.

I have the diamondback HD and love it. Keeps my tools dry and secure during the week and toys safe on the weekends.
That is the kind of intel I need to hear!
It looks like my suspicions about the latching components may end up being true.

Thank you

12 Sam 1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
Member #

View attachment 79930
I'm glad great08 posted this because I had the same questions. May I asked what make you go with the HD and not the SE?

Reactions: great08