Day Trip trails

• HTML tutorial

Jbig117

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tigard Oregon
Member #

I was looking for something i could do as a casual day trip. I'm in Tigard (Portland) area and would like to do something offroad that would allow me to get out into the wilderness for a few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Are you looking for anything challenging, or just a nice wilderness drive? Table Rock Wilderness Area just east of Molalla is a nice area, with mostly maintained dirt roads. All the potentially fun stuff is gated off by BLM, but it's a very pretty area and where we usually go for a quick outing. There are also a lot of roads south of Molalla, if you follow Sawtell Road out of town. Once the pavement ends, there are a lot of roads to explore back there. Some waterfalls, too.

Reactions: Jbig117

Jbig117

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tigard Oregon
Member #

Are you looking for anything challenging, or just a nice wilderness drive? Table Rock Wilderness Area just east of Molalla is a nice area, with mostly maintained dirt roads. All the potentially fun stuff is gated off by BLM, but it's a very pretty area and where we usually go for a quick outing. There are also a lot of roads south of Molalla, if you follow Sawtell Road out of town. Once the pavement ends, there are a lot of roads to explore back there. Some waterfalls, too.
Those suggestions sound great. I don't feel like my rig is ready for challenging trails just yet

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I am in Sweet Home, about Two hours south of your area and there are some great places here to explore. This afternoon I drove from Springfield to most the way home on forest roads with a few sections to OHV trails. Let me know if you are interested in coming out this way and we could schedule a meet up and go his the trails. There are a couple of day routes I have been wanting to try: one is from Green Peter to Detroit and the other is from the Blue River to Tue Gordon Lake area. Both are probably day trippers.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Woke up yesterday and decided to go out and scout out some trails with my son. We went in search of Crabtree lake. It is in the Middle Santiam Wilderness between Green Peter and Detroit lake. This route took about 3.5 hours round trip and made for some good fishing once we arrived. The road is fairly easy, only a couple of sections required 4wd, mainly to assist on the steep inclines. Numerous camp sites along the route and near the lake. Unfortunately you can't get into the lake with a rig but it is only about 1/4 mile walk from a large campsite area that multiple rigs could fit into. The camp area has water from Crabtree creek. For a longer route which we have future plans for you could go all the way to Detroit.

Here are a few pics and the GAIA GPS Track:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/pfuxSwYjoeJWLVAX18K5uNIl

<iframe src='https://www.gaiagps.com/public/pfuxSwYjoeJWLVAX18K5uNIl?embed=True' style='border:none; overflow-y: hidden; background-color:white; min-width: 320px; max-width:420px; width:100%; height: 420px;' scrolling='no' seamless='seamless'></iframe>

Jbig117

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tigard Oregon
Member #

Woke up yesterday and decided to go out and scout out some trails with my son. We went in search of Crabtree lake. It is in the Middle Santiam Wilderness between Green Peter and Detroit lake. This route took about 3.5 hours round trip and made for some good fishing once we arrived. The road is fairly easy, only a couple of sections required 4wd, mainly to assist on the steep inclines. Numerous camp sites along the route and near the lake. Unfortunately you can't get into the lake with a rig but it is only about 1/4 mile walk from a large campsite area that multiple rigs could fit into. The camp area has water from Crabtree creek. For a longer route which we have future plans for you could go all the way to Detroit.

Here are a few pics and the GAIA GPS Track:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/pfuxSwYjoeJWLVAX18K5uNIl

<iframe src='https://www.gaiagps.com/public/pfuxSwYjoeJWLVAX18K5uNIl?embed=True' style='border:none; overflow-y: hidden; background-color:white; min-width: 320px; max-width:420px; width:100%; height: 420px;' scrolling='no' seamless='seamless'></iframe>
That sounds awesome. I definitely need to get out this weekend

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Take out map of a wilderness area around you
Close eyes
Randomly point somewhere on the map
See if you can find a way to get there .

Or plan b
Go for a drive
Find a forest service road
See where it leads you .

There is so much to see and explore around here only downside is your gonna start seeing a lot of snow in the hills soon and that can slow you down a bit especially if your going solo