Curious…Anyone bought land along one of their favorite trails for camping?

• HTML tutorial

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Folks buy condos and hunting farms, so why not buy a small slice of private land along a favorite trail? There may even be options next to BLM land or on public forest service roads. One could use such land for individual camping, group camping, etc, without having to worry about any forest or BLM rules, since the adjacent land would be private. Of course, I suspect any land with a view would be quite expensive. Anyone gone down this route?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have watched Surfers buy up Baja for the last 40 years. We find a spot and make it ours, then try to figure out ways to keep others away. I have been on both sides of the wall and now prefer to be a traveler instead of an owner now. It's nice that I know plenty of owners where I go. The major downsides of ownership you tend to restrict your travels to where you own. You soon try to improve it and you're spending money there instead of on you travels. Different priorities.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have watched Surfers buy up Baja for the last 40 years. We find a spot and make it ours, then try to figure out ways to keep others away. I have been on both sides of the wall and now prefer to be a traveler instead of an owner now. It's nice that I know plenty of owners where I go. The major downsides of ownership you tend to restrict your travels to where you own. You soon try to improve it and you're spending money there instead of on you travels. Different priorities.
yep!
back in the 90s i went to gatlinberg for the first time and really liked the area. after a few trips there, i decided to buy a nice lot so i'd have my own place in the area. i ended up buying 5 lots and it turned into a serious job developing them and i eventually lost interest in the area and sold them.
i'm totally with @MMc about traveling and NOT owning...

i know a few folk who bought small lots for cheap in remote areas and it is an undeveloped dirt road to get to it with no utilities and no water, etc. i really dont see the point. and to get a semi-developed lot in a nice area will cost a LOT of money. i see that being about as good as buying into timeshares...sounds great until you actually do it

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Totally agree with you guys @grubworm and @MMc about traveling instead of owning. I couldn't imagine tying myself to one place for a long time by buying land. I would rather continue to explore the world. And so everyone has their ideas and way of life. That makes it interesting.

Reactions: MMc and grubworm