Croatan National Forest

• HTML tutorial

Pull the Pin

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cottageville, West Virginia
Member #

Been planning a trip to Cape Lookout National and will need to spend once night inland before catching the Ferry out the next morning. I know there is some pay camping but Looking to see if anyone knows of any spots in the Croatan National Forest to camp for the night. Thanks to all in advance!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Its been a few years, but I think you can get to the Oyster Point USFS campground off Hwy 101 which is roughly an hour's drive from any of the three ferry services. Not free but close at $10/night or $5 for us old folks. If you're going to Portsmouth, call Kari (owner of the Morris Marina ferry service) and ask if you can boondock in the parking lot. The other two ferry services may offer that as well. There is also a commercial campground at the Cedar Island ferry terminal which is a half hour from Morris Marina.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Pull the Pin

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cottageville, West Virginia
Member #

Its been a few years, but I think you can get to the Oyster Point USFS campground off Hwy 101 which is roughly an hour's drive from any of the three ferry services. Not free but close at $10/night or $5 for us old folks. If you're going to Portsmouth, call Kari (owner of the Morris Marina ferry service) and ask if you can boondock in the parking lot. The other two ferry services may offer that as well. There is also a commercial campground at the Cedar Island ferry terminal which is a half hour from Morris Marina.
Thanks for the response. Oyster Campground is my original plan to stop and camp. But if I could find a disperse spot in the forest I would be more open to trying that. Nothing agianst campsites, but if I can I perfer the privacy and being free. Already called and reserved a ferry with a different ferry service. We are going to Cape lookout.